Silo Modeller Gets Even Better!

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Silo Modeller Gets Even Better!

ashmantle(Posted 2004) [#1]
A new update (1.3) is about to be relased, including a Mac version.

Silo 1.3
Silo 1.3 follows in the Nevercenter tradition of frequent major upgrades with, among other new tools, the revolutionary Topology Brush. The tool allows users to sketch freehand lines on top of an existing mesh and automatically create new geometry based on the sketched topology.

“This is a major workflow improvement and could potentially cut down modeling time dramatically,” said Adam Cobabe, Artistic Director for Nevercenter. "Possibillities include retopologizing scan data, creating a low-res mesh from a high-res mesh and vice versa, adding clothing and reworking edge flow in problem areas.”

Other new additions in Silo 1.3 include a slide tool, shortest path selection, and drag and drop button placement for custom interfaces.

Picture:

Now if this isn't cool, tell me what is ^^

www.nevercenter.com <--- Find Silo here

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#2]
That is quite a funky feature.

Knotz(Posted 2004) [#3]
We used Silo since release and it's a dream to work with. The Topology Brush feature is a dream come true if you want to do some controlled poly reduction.

ashmantle(Posted 2004) [#4]
The Topology Brush feature is a dream come true if you want to do some controlled poly reduction.

Which we do ^^

simonh(Posted 2004) [#5]
Just tried Silo out for the first time - I quite like it, it's similar to Wings but with more features. Not quite as intuitive to use, but close.

I think I'll probably buy the full version, as it's a good price.

simonh(Posted 2004) [#6]
I'm guessing that topology brush tool will make it easy to create Doom3-style character models, by allowing you to create low-poly heads/bodies from high-poly versions. The more I know about Silo, the more I like it!

boomboom(Posted 2004) [#7]
simonh, oh yes!

boomboom(Posted 2004) [#8]
But whats good about this system is after you have made your high poly model, instead of using an automatic poly reduction tool, by using this and doing it manually the mesh will still deform the exact way that it should if it were the higher one that was deforming.

for example, often in poly reduction edges are not in the right place and there is no such thing as line flow. This is the answer :)

Bob3d(Posted 2004) [#9]
IMHO, this is great. Can this be tested in the demo?

I have just killed my bucks for purchasing for a long time, but I'd like to check it for curiosity.

ashmantle(Posted 2004) [#10]
This feature is soon to come, but Im sure they will be including it in the 17-days limited demo.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#11]
The reference to retopologizing scan data is really the coolest thing about this feature. 3D scanned models are generally useless for animating because of the dense and uniform vertex data. This tool suddenly makes 3D scanning a useful and economical tool for creating models to animate. Considering game developers already mo-cap people for realistic animation, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they start using 3D scans of people, touched up with a tool like this, for quickly generating realistic models.

boomboom(Posted 2004) [#12]
yes jhocking and used the original scanned models as normal maps

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#13]
Now there needs to be a way to scan in texture as part of the 3D scanning process.

ashmantle(Posted 2004) [#14]
There is.. I've seen professional scanners which scan the texture of the object aswell as the topology.

Bob3d(Posted 2004) [#15]
and some than do this scan/optimize in a step, and pass it as an optimizzed mesh...u draw it in ur clay model or terracota one, and go pointing with a mecanical arm which is the scanner..was near years ago to buy one, was not as expensive as a laser one....

Bob3d(Posted 2004) [#16]
the outout was in nurbs... (u surely could turn it to low pol polygon mesh.)

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#17]
Damn, do you have any links to 3D scanners that scan texture? I would love to see that.

@Bob3d: The Microscribes and other mechanical arm "scanners" are nifty tools but ultimately not too useful for stuff like people.

ashmantle(Posted 2004) [#18]
Bob3d, I believe they used them mechanical arms in the making of Lord of the Rings..

@jhocking:
just one example
http://www.arius3d.com/image_library/commercial/champlain/main.html
The Arius3D capture system is a white light laser scanner that simultaneously captures color and point data.