3D Impact

Community Forums/Developer Stations/3D Impact

boomboom(Posted 2004) [#1]
Has anyony tried or looked at this

http://www.3impact.com/

Its about the same cost as Blitz3D but has dynamics and shadows etc.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#2]
Looks interesting... Need to examine further this evening.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2004) [#3]
Looks very interesting... Downloading now...

big10p(Posted 2004) [#4]
Interesting but I hardly think that coding in C++ is conducive to their claim of "the game developing tool with the shortest learning curve!".

boomboom(Posted 2004) [#5]
well big10p that depends if you know c++ or not? :)

which i don't, so the curve would be quite steep. But this would very very good for making racing games in etc, due to the inbuilt dynamics and car physics

big10p(Posted 2004) [#6]
True, but I had to laugh at one of the tutorials: "Programming Basics. Don't miss this if you have little or no programming experience!
"

Yeah, good luck! :)

Bob3d(Posted 2004) [#7]
hmmm...
isn't it the following version of 3d Rad ?

3d rad did imported x files, something i love...

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#8]
I've been keeping an eye on this for a while now.
Although you *do* have to code in C++, its made a LOT more simple for you. Basically you code a .dll which is then called by the engine at runtime.
That might sound complex, but there's a tutorial that tells you exactly how to set it up, and it doesn't take long. You'll obviously need a C++ compiler but there's free ones about.
Actual coding appears to take the form of calling 3Impacts functions ie. a lot like you do with Blitz's commands.

And for £50, you can't really complain can you?

Nikko(Posted 2004) [#9]
Doesn't work correctly with a MX420 occlusions issues. Too bad.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#10]
It's very, very slow. The demo games are the only games I've ever played which slowed my PC down noticeably with the exception of a horrible game called Gooka.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#11]
Oh yeah? I guess I'll download the demo and check it out anyway... It looks really nice if it works. I'd love to be able to code in C++ but have a nice safety layer between myself and the graphics API. Also, built in collision detection is a -very- nice feature...

boomboom(Posted 2004) [#12]
I found the demo about as fast as blitz, esp considering all the demos are with shadows on (probably be faster with them off)

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#13]
it uses the c++ compiler but the code for developers is strictly c...

... although you can opt to make your own classes and code it oop like :)

there is also a delphi lib for those pascally inclined...

--Mike

Jazzyhat(Posted 2004) [#14]
3DImpact use ODE !
http://www.ode.org/users.html
I don't remember which Blitz coder that use ODE to code a racing car demo and Bowling. But the physics engine should be the same one.

Sweenie(Posted 2004) [#15]
I actually bought 3Impact last year and what I like most about it is the physics-part.
Other than that it's not much different than Blitz3D graphicwise, unless for the shadows though.

The process of getting your models into the engine is a bit troublesome.
You have to make sure the model is a DirectX-file and then you have to run it through a converter.
To physicsenable the model, you have to create three copies of the model and run it through the converter.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#16]
I played the monster truck demo and it was awful... you clipped a tree and the whole truck fell apart and burst into flames. Realistic physics... oh yeah!

N(Posted 2004) [#17]
Heheheh.

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#18]
Rob,

Erm..

I think that's meant to suggest not running into trees whilst on your mobile mate! :) lol.

I was rather surprised that no matter how gently you hit a tree the whole truck dis-integrates - btw the effect is pretty cool, just unrealistic - although you can adjust the strength of the truck!

I took a look at these 3Impact demos yesterday and as always the physics seems doggedly slow.

Why oh WHY do people think everything in 'realisitc physics terms' is okay when it moves so slowly?

If you have ever looked out of your 'coders bedroom window' you'll know that things move pretty quick in the real world.

So for realistic physics you have to have the speed as well as the technical correctness. Just slowing everything down is not good nor acceptable!

It was the same with all the demos which had physics, Tokamak is soo much faster (when tweaked).

Just my half pennies worth.

IPete2.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#19]
Indeed this is something I noticed too, gravity is about 1/50th of reality, although decreasing gravity always makes for dramatic stuff. But this was a bit too reduced.

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#20]
Erm ... you guys do realise that this is a programming lib don't you?
As such, it is possible to program different values into it and change gravity or 'destruction' thresholds.

I have to agree that its not the fastest renderer in the world though. I was thinking about possibly hooking it up to Blitz. The author said that its not do-able in the normal sense (like Tokamak), but I'm sure we could find a way of passing various values between the 2 programs. I'm pretty sure you can run just the 3Impact physics engine without running the GFX as well (you just skip invoking the renderer).

boomboom(Posted 2004) [#21]
well skitchy, someone above stated it used http://www.ode.org/users.html as the physics engine. which is open source

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#22]
yeah... ODE is at the heart of it...

--Mike

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#23]
I think my main point is that ALL the demos featured on their website which feature physics all display the same problems - far too slow.

It is not a matter of programming it to fix this issue - The implementation of physics in this engine is just too slow to begin with!

IPete2.

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#24]
I remember hearing a that there's a problem with ODE and Blitz. There was an implementation done before userlibs were added, but it started breaking down after Blitz got upgraded (that's just what I remember - could be wrong ;) ).

The nice thing that separates 3Impact from other physics 'things' is the mesh convertor. You model your convex-hulls and mass distribution stuff etc. in the conventional way and don't have to worry so much about esoteric numbers / trying to build collision objects in code (AAAARGH).

I haven't bought it yet, but like I said for £50 it would be rude not to ;)