CharacterFX - Copying anims?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/CharacterFX - Copying anims?

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#1]
I have four soldiers..(Psonic's 4 pack), but soldier 1 has quite a few anims added to it, that I'd like to use on the other soldiers(Which have indentical anims/skeletons but for the new anims)...any idea how I copy and past the keyframes from one model to another?

I have them in .cfx/.x/.b3d format...and I do have characterFx..just not exactly a 3d guru...

boomboom(Posted 2004) [#2]
well i think the only way todo it with characterfx is to remove the bones from the unanimated ones and attach the animated bones and save

Dirk Krause(Posted 2004) [#3]
as usual fredborg has the answer:
http://www.frecle.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#4]
not sure what fredborg says there, but I would use the LoadAnimSeq to add Anims of other Chars with the same Skeleton to a loaded Character. Of course, when your Animation has multiple sequences inside, you probably should split them into single sequences to be able to load the sequences individually for each Character.

Dirk Krause(Posted 2004) [#5]
basically he recurses through all child entities and copy the animation keys from one child to another respectively.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#6]
Heh forgot you can make anims in blitz it's self..thanks :)

Paulo(Posted 2004) [#7]
You can copy/paste anims from 1 model to another in Milkshape, if thats any help. Load model, copy the keyframe you want to copy... clear for a new model, load in the next model, paste the frames. Although this used to cause a crash after you copy the 2nd time around, repeating the procedure. The workaround was to quit the program and start it again, an arsy procedure, but it works.

Dirk Krause(Posted 2004) [#8]
Did you post this in the Milkshape forum? I think Mete should know this ...

Paulo(Posted 2004) [#9]
ehm, nope I didnt and Im not sure if it's a local problem or everyone gets this. I got it using 1.66 and 1.71 a friend has 1.5 and he gets it also, so i guess it's univeral.

Bob3d(Posted 2004) [#10]
if I remember well, in cfx you need to delete de old mesh that have the anim you want, and assign weights again to the new mesh to rig to the old skeleton.

There's no way to save, copy/paste weights like in max/cs.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#11]
Well, I am not sure if it was said before, but hey, DUDE :) (you really like your carpet, don't you? :P ), there is one very simple thing you can do:

You load all the meshes with LoadAnimMesh(), now you've got them loaded individually. Now you use the "LoadAnimSeq" Command to append the one Soldier Mesh that has all the animations TO EACH LOADED CHAR. Now you only have to use ExtractAnimSeq to make the various animation parts accessible for individual looping.

so you even don't have to copy paste any animation in third party programs. Psionic should have added an example source for that. There is only one reason why he didn't release every soldier with animations: filesize.