We could really use some Blender to B3D lovin'

Community Forums/Developer Stations/We could really use some Blender to B3D lovin'

WarpZone(Posted 2004) [#1]
I could not possibly be alone in this feeling. Blender is listed in the toolbox even though it does not export to the Blitz format. It's free, it's feature-rich, and it's reasonably easy to use. All it needs is a B3D exporter!

Currently, there are no python export scripts that I can find that turn what you've got in Blender into a B3D file. I've been going nuts trying to find one. I can't believe there are so many export scripts availible for Blender, but B3D has not been covered yet. Why is this?

The next version of Blender is supposedly going to tie import/export Python scripts into some kind of menu function, to make the import/export process more intuitive. If anyone reading this has any Python experience, please reply here. If a Blender > B3D plugin already exists and I just couldn't find it because it's too obscure, please post it here so I can stop wasting your time by posting whiny threads.

Thank you all for any helpful replies.

Dirk Krause(Posted 2004) [#2]
I do have some python knowledge and I would pick up the ball if I had the feeling that it

a) was for more than just two people and
b) there is any use of supporting .b3d natively, because there maybe exporters available for say .3ds.

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#3]
Im not positive, but im sure someone on these boards has a blender to b3d plugin or exporter.

Ill try to find

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#4]
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=17050

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#5]
To do a b3d exporter for Blender your best bet is probably to get Peter Scheutz's XML version of the file format from the Code Archives. It is easy to write to a text file from Python, and then use his code to convert the text data into a b3d file.

This is the approach I'm taking working on a Maya exporter: use MEL to write the xml file, and then use his code to convert to b3d.

Bob3d(Posted 2004) [#6]
as far as i am concerned, 2.34 version does export x files with bones and weights almost perfect, only I think u need to set with N key the location and rotation the same for mesh and armature, I do so to 0,0,0.

Ben will try to fix the exporter in following updates of th eplugin, but i think latest is in export menu of blender 2.34, that is now released.

I mean all this for mainly Ultimate Unwrap users. They can maybe import an x file and export b3d from there.

Magian(Posted 2004) [#7]
I'd certainly like to see an exporter.

skidracer(Posted 2004) [#8]
Me too, unlike Ultimate Unwrap blender is free as a bird and native .b3d support would be very nice IMHO.

Bob3d(Posted 2004) [#9]
the fact then it's it will have to be a user of both blender and blitz. I highly doubt you get the attention of any blenderhead for an engine they don't know while they're already passionate about they're embedded engine.

it use to work when there's a blender user involved in a project that uses certain engine, etc.

It's needed python knowledge, but I see it easier than even vb code, so...

Any b3d coder can learn easily that language, imho.

A thing that maybe good is have a look at the blendertocal3d exporter. for bones stuff.

Bob3d(Posted 2004) [#10]
hummm...

Anyone used this dx8 to b3d converter?

dx8 to b3d converter, free.
http://www.blitzbasic.com/toolbox/toolbox.php?cat=17

As well, if it works, then you have the blender->b3d.

Only thing that I don't like of the x blender exporter is yet it does not support root movement (moving the root for jumps, etc) All action must take with the root bone in same place...

But i am trying to convince the x exporter author... ;)

he's a very gentle guy.

Synchronist(Posted 2004) [#11]
For what it's worth, there is an effort going on in the Torque forums to perfect a Python script to export from Blender to the TGE. So far, it's meeting with good success. The plugin takes care of animation, texturing, etc. so I would think a .b3d script would be possible.

Blender 2.34 has enhanced support for Python scripts over previous versions.

Any Python scripters here? I've got some Python under my belt but I'm too involved in other projects to mainline this one.

[EDIT] The Python code for .dts is available without encumberances. Possibly as a starting point for a .b3d plugin?