3DMax exporter

Community Forums/Developer Stations/3DMax exporter

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#1]
Want to do one for a custom format, so basically have to do it from scratch. Igame seems to be the quickest/easiest option of writing one..but i'm still unsure how to go about it all.
Any good links any of you exporter writers used to learn all this stuff?

CodeOrc(Posted 2004) [#2]
just a guess, but perhaps "MaxScript" would help.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#3]
That was my first guess, but IGame(Some form of extension to 3d max or it's script lang?) appears to be a new method of creating importers/exporters though, in which you can use regular C++. Which is ideal for me.

But your guess is as good as mine beyond that, I have all the artistic finesse of a druken chainsaw wielding maniac.

boomboom(Posted 2004) [#4]
why don't u just use .b3d everyone seems to have adopted that into there workflow.

if u just make an exporter for max then that limits max users to using your product. i would say that most people who have full commercial licences in a big package is either for lightwave, c4d or old versions of max.

maybe you could make a custom exporter or ultimate unwrap, they have a full sdk for plugins and it is not problem getting stuff into it from any of the main packages.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#5]
Good idea for most cases chris.
though considering this paticular product(not vividGL) is going to be primarly a C++ based engine I feel it's important to at least start with the custom format with support for the higher end apps. Or it might feel 'light-weight' in most C++ coder's eyes.

I mean generally it's the userbase of an engine that extend it's support to the more 'exotic' formats unwrap etc has so hopefully everyone will be happy. eventually.

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#6]
Otacon

so how's the supervividdemo coming along?

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#7]
A demo of something super is coming.Might not be vivid though. ;)

But i've learned my leason as far as release dates go..from now on i'll release demos/products without warning.