Slim_Shady>Max6>B3d...it's works great!

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Slim_Shady>Max6>B3d...it's works great!

CodeOrc(Posted 2004) [#1]
Just thought I would drop a thankyou to the creator(s) of the Slim Shady light mapper.

I use Max6, and B3D. Downloaded Slim Shady 3 to day and it works great with Max. In that you export as 3DS or B3D from Max, edit the .ssl file for SS mesh loading, and whalla!

The only issue I had is when I had a really large level I had to change the size of my lighmap settings from 512 to 1024. Then used Gimp to resize back to 512 and it looks perfect.

Anyway, thanx to all who created it.

Bob3d(Posted 2004) [#2]
hum.

he quality of Max6 generated lightmaps(using render to texture, and knowing well render and material,lights, uvs deal of max6) is much better than those generated in Slim Shady, while Slim Shady is a very nice free tool...

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#3]
good to hear. In fact the only true drawback of slimshady is the lack of support for smoothing groups IMHO.

Happy Sammy(Posted 2005) [#4]
Excuse me, what is "smoothing groups"?

Thanks in advance
Sammy

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#5]
a mesh without smoothing is flat shaded. So on a sphere you would see all Triangles as flat facettes. you can try it n Blitz, set EntityFX of a sphere to be Flatshaded (see command reference). Most simple lightmappers support only flatshaded geometry. Unlike SlimShady the Tool "Gile[s]" DOES support smoothing.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2005) [#6]
Giles is a lot better. You export the B3D from max to giles and then export the lights in the max scene only to giles via ase format.

Then merge the lights into giles and fiddle with the rendering options and you get an identical scene to a max render. Can't beat that.

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#7]
one cool thing about giles is that you can load the GLS files back into max, after you got all your UV's done. And then render lightmaps in Max. Allthough Giles does a pretty good job for most things.

Had a quick play with it and will most likely buy it eventualy, since it really is very good.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2005) [#8]
It's the dogs bollocks, and you can import lights from Max via ASE seperately from B3D.

I recommend:

import b3d
import and merge ase lights

You can then just play with the settings to tweak quality etc... brilliant.

Shame it isn't threaded...