Spray it on - tmx2

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Spray it on - tmx2

SabataRH(Posted 2004) [#1]
Well I finally got the this part of treemagikx2 working so i can offically announce that it will be included in the treemagikX2 bundle, further more; via the plugin feature; it'll be intergrated right into the treemagikx2 building editor.

This product will also be available as a standalone option for those wanting only to create tree textures.

Okay with that said, what is it!?

Simple, this tool allows for creation of high definition tree textures (leaf chunks). Using a series of included tools you can design pratically any type of tree skin.

Here's a few simple steps used to create super skin textures in about 120seconds.

Step 1) Select a branch layout and apply a wood texture to it (usually you would want the wood of the branches to match that of the tree trunk). Then select a leaf style-set ( style sets include 4-24 leaf patterns) There will be roughly 32 style-sets avaiable at 4-24 leaves per set. Define colors to use or load up some presets.
step1

Step 2) Spray the leaf patterns across the canvas createing spectacular leaf patterns. Use the sliders to give your texture a unique look. Next, to test your skin, export the texture to the virtual buffer and leave the designer tool. You should be back inside the treemagikX2 editor now.
step2

Step 3) Conitnue building your unique tree and when ready click the 'use virtual buffer texture' option to apply the skin to the tree. Now you have your tree and texture showing in the editor..
step3

Step 4) Click the preview to wittness the tree in action.
step4

If happy with your results, load the designer back up (via the Extras tab) and you'll see your skin creation is still intact, simply export the skin to a png file (supporting alpha transparencies as well as normal masking). The deisgner code will use a seires of cameras and zoom angles to establish the most optimal positioning for texture creation. Exit the deisgner again. Click the 'rebuild leaf textures catalog' option and you'll see your freshly created tree-skin in one of the boxes. Select it, apply it to the tree and export the tree... Yay you have easily created a high quality looking tree at super low poly count.. ( the tree in the screenshots is less than 230 polys).

More later!

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#2]
I think these trees are drastically improved. They look more like the results of speedtree than a small-time developer's program.

ckob(Posted 2004) [#3]
Damn Alienhead your tree making programs get better all the time

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#4]
how many surfaces is each tree, is there an occlusion thingy?

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#5]
I concur, this tree looks much better than the trees Treemagik used to make. Nice work!

SabataRH(Posted 2004) [#6]
2 surfaces.. 1 for wood and another for the leaves.
Im also in the middle of building a special blitz3d routine to load the native save formats... it'll collapse all of the like surfaces into a single mesh but I doubt i finish it before the release date so it'll be included in a future update.

You may also export cardboard cutouts of the tree to place at distance for a form of lod.

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#7]
That is just too damn good :)

nrasool(Posted 2004) [#8]
These tree are very impressive. Can't wait to play around with this even more.

Well Done AlienHead in providing an excellent tree building s/ware. I really liked the first program, but this far is light years ahead of that

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#9]
Looks nice!

N(Posted 2004) [#10]
These systems are a drastic improvement over the first ones.

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#11]
Any eta on this? Looks incredible btw. We will be upgrading to it for sure.

SabataRH(Posted 2004) [#12]
Aug 20,2004 is the offical release date...

xmlspy(Posted 2004) [#13]