New and improved tree[d] :)

Community Forums/Developer Stations/New and improved tree[d] :)

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi,

I've been plugging away on tree[d] occasionally since it was first released. And now I think it's time to let you give the new version a whirl.

So head on over to: http://www.frecle.net/treed/ and grab it!

Lot's of new stuff, too much for me to remember right now...But it's rocking ;)

A couple of things:
- Render a tree to texture
- Textured branch cross sections
- New paramters
- 13 cool textures to play with
- New everything

Enjoy!

...but it still only exports to .gls *wink* *wink*

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#2]
cooool one :)
very usefull tool, thanks a lot :)

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#3]
Very nice! And thanks so much for working on this free tool.

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#4]
*why not include it into Gile[s] like others do it as well?*
would be a good reason for a lot of people to decide for Gile[s] if they are unsure :)

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#5]
I love the 'new and improved' logo on that image :)
Nice, but I still think you should slap in .x / .b3d export and sell it ;) I understand what you're aiming at though.

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#6]
If you think the same then the aiming is a little bit very missed as it is not bound to Gile[s] ( if it were only the saving ability )

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#7]
Agamer, is that you?

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#8]
Agamer, is that you?

Nah, he's just foreign, he only speaks foreignese fluently.

*EDIT*
Incidentally, I like it!

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#9]
Nice!

Binary_Moon(Posted 2004) [#10]
It's really cool.

Would be good if you added a wireframe mode so we can see the low poly goodness.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#11]
As soon as I need Gile[s] I'm going to get it, all these little bolt ons also make it look like a really well rounded package.

With this tree thing can you create a clump of trees (of maybe 20 or so) and have them all on the same surface?

If not, it'll be a nice touch.

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#12]
Hi,

A new small update! tree[d] now acts as a straight gile[s] plugin.

Uninstall your old version and install the new one, launch gile[s] go to the create menu and make trees :)

That's what happens when you complain about free stuff ;)

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#13]
Wahey!
Maybe I will get gile[s] in my magic blitz spending spree (believe it or not, it is coming soon...)

Ziltch(Posted 2004) [#14]
Thanks Fredborg. I am in the need to generate some trees!

and thanks for the last update of gile[s].

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#15]
Hi,

A new and improved version is available. Have fun!

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#16]
Fredborg, thanks for the cool tool.

Btw, off topic here, but I thought I read where you were adding a new feature to gile[s] so it would paint textures like decorator. Is that true? Or was I dreaming?

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#17]
where is Tree[d] supposed to show up in Gile[s]?
I can't see an option for it under the menus (I have just downloaded T[d]2.5 and have Gile[s] 1.31a).

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#18]
You need to install it in the '..\gile[s]\plugins\' directory, it will then be available both as an import file format and from the 'Create' menu. Uninstall any old version you might have first.

There is a paint triangle tool in the current version of gile[s].

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#19]
Yep, just figured it out :)

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#20]
Actually, I'm currently looking at the plugin SDK, I don't have purebasic, so I'm making an attempt (vain though it may be) at converting it to Delphi.
Since I don't have purebasic, I know little to nothing about its' syntax.
I am having trouble with Gile[s]-structures.pb, the mesh structure contains what appears to be a pointer to a polybank structure, but I can find no declaration of this structure in the supplied files, is this a standard pb structure?

*EDIT*
I may have just made a simple error (yet again), it looks like it's a pointer called polybank.
*duh*

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#21]
It's a bank pointer. :)

xmlspy(Posted 2004) [#22]

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#23]
without a doubt, Gile[s] is the best software license i've purchased in the past year... bar none.

functionality wise, support wise, Fredborg has set the bar for doin' the indie thing right.

Gile[s] has helped me immeasurably in getting decent looking scenes into my 3DRAD developed sub sim, and i can only anticipate the value that Gile[s] will afford me in developing for the upcoming version of Blitz.

( hey, this is starting to sound like one of those unsolicited testimonials you hear about on tv :) )

--Mike

Dirk Krause(Posted 2004) [#24]
I second that. Gile[s] is one piece of well-crafted software in various ways. I don't have the faintest why he gives Tree[d] away, but, man am I grateful.

And I so much hope he does Animator[e] or something like that.

N(Posted 2004) [#25]
Fredborg: Two words: *CENSORED SO THAT THE CHILDREN'S MINDS SHAN'T BE WARPED BY MY CURSING* awesome!

I guess now I have to write a .gls loader for Blitz3D.

maximo(Posted 2004) [#26]
OR have Fredborg nicely provide everyone with .gls provider ;)

and yeah Freborg great software, both gile[s] and tree[s] :)

N(Posted 2004) [#27]
Well, maximo, I already wrote a .gls loader so now all that's left is to figure out the differences between .gls and .trd.

Fredborg, care to shed some light on the format specs?

maximo(Posted 2004) [#28]
nice work Noel! :)

Rob(Posted 2004) [#29]
I knew gile[s] was a winner right from the start :)

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#30]
Wow, you must be psychic.

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#31]
.trd is just a file containing strings with what the tree generator must do (look at it in notepad).
I then assume that the tree[d] generator is fully integrated into gile[s] using a dll (in the tree[d] directory)

Therefore, it would be great if the older version was still available. Don't worry, it will probably not lose you customers since v.2 is nicer in every way and people like me would buy gile[s] in support of it. I do intend to buy gile[s] by the way, just not yet.