AutoSeam - Turns images into a seamless textures

Community Forums/Developer Stations/AutoSeam - Turns images into a seamless textures

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#1]
...automatically. No settings, editing or artistic talent is required.
First, take your image - this can be anything from a photo to a sketch.
This example image was lifted from a digital camcorder film. I have not altered it in ANY way (note the errors around the edges) :

Run AutoSeam, point it at the file and press OK. The result :

And here's what it looks like when tiled (scaled down slightly for bandwidth reasons) :

You can also batch convert an entire directory full of images The originals are not overwritten - don't worry - the new images are named [original name]_seamless.png

How does it work? Well, that's a secret, but I can tell you that it does NOT use any crap mirroring techniques. The images/textures that are created look like the originals, except they tile seamlessly :) Light/shadow variations are automatically sorted out too.

I haven't decided on a price, and its not available for sale on the DyVision Works site YET - I want some feedback first. :)
'Making textures' is the obvious use, but there's also stuff like tiling web & desktop backgrounds.

Remember that 2 or more AutoSeam'd images could be layered in a paint prog (using transparency) and they would still tile perfectly ie. take a 'wall' image, a 'dirt' image and a 'bullet-holes' image and combine to taste ;)

Get the demo here :
http://www.dyvision.co.uk/AutoSeam%20DEMO.exe

SabataRH(Posted 2004) [#2]
Amazing!

Up until now I've been using Xfader, works fairly well but it does use heavy alpha blending on the corners... which is okay if your original image is large like 1024x1024... but as soon as this is released i'll be dumping xfader. :)>

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#3]
Cool!

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#4]
Deosnt work very well on spacescapes!

try it on this:

and this:

Warren(Posted 2004) [#5]
Well, it's not magic. :) The source picture needs to have some structure to work with I imagine...

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#6]
It's pretty good, but I'm a firm believer that you can't do better than manually editting.

Valgar(Posted 2004) [#7]
For me(without any graphical ability...)a tool like this is crucial!
Blending (like other say)for me is no good.
So i think this program is a must have for me.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#8]
Best tool I know of for manually creating tileable images is TextureMagic from Artis Software. Too bad it is Mac only. It has all kinds of really useful features for editing tiling images. For example, you edit on a tiled view, so you can actually watch how the changes you are making look when the image is tiled.

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#9]
not bad, its something ill look at when released.

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#10]
It's pretty good, but I'm a firm believer that you can't do better than manually editting.

With this though I can take 10,000 digital photos, put them in a directory, set it to batch convert and go do something else (like manually editing some other textures ;) ).

JoeRetro(Posted 2004) [#11]
Let's see a demo!

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#12]
This tool could really help with professional games development also,
EA and other companies hire people to do this job, it could speed up the process so that only 1 person is needed just to check they came out OK

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#13]
Let's see a demo!

Get the demo here :
www.dyvision.co.uk/AutoSeam%20DEMO.exe

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#14]
Thanks P, saved me posting. Oh, I just did. Damn. ;)
Well here it is again :
www.dyvision.co.uk/AutoSeam%20DEMO.exe

I'm having trouble deciding how much to charge for this. As Slenkar said, this could be used by pros - who by all rights *should* pay pro prices. But then I'm part of the inde scene and I want people like me to afford it too. Hmmmm....
What do y'all reckon?

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#15]
Pros won't buy it, and if they do, you'll get like one sale.

I'd add some more tools and release it as a full photo tp seamless texture processor. It would be a lot more complete if you had some saturation and color normalizing controls.

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#16]
oops sorry everyone I just talked it up - increased the price.....

maybe the batch convertor could cost more

CyberHeater(Posted 2004) [#17]
Release what you got for the indie scene. Work on it and produce the pro-version.

koekjesbaby(Posted 2004) [#18]
well, i am not impressed. i tried it with almost tiling images and completely not tiling images and in both versions i can see where the image ends (i see borders). so making them tile manually is far more superior and probaly faster than fixing all the not perfect textures.

i also remember using some free program i used back in the counter-strike map making days that does the same maybe even better.

Bob3d(Posted 2004) [#19]
"I'm having trouble deciding how much to charge for this. As Slenkar said, this could be used by pros - who by all rights *should* pay pro prices. But then I'm part of the inde scene and I want people like me to afford it too. Hmmmm....
What do y'all reckon? "

I don't know if I may call my self a pro, but when had to make it with a salary, best way was photoshop, layers, feathreing, quick mask, layer modes, mirroring, varying a bit, etc.

I used to like to try every tool out there, like texture-editor, synth, harmwave, reptile, certain adobe filters...nothing gave me as much control as by hand in adobe.

I think your market is strongly more more the indies, specially the mjority, which are coders with some knowledge of graphics, only.

Anyway, that's speaking of game field. As there are other fields which may pay like what you say, pro, and still not be games.

Poser users, Poser people use to like to buy these type of "weapons".Are quite in thi sline of doing. Many don't like to mess a lot with this nitty gritty of hand made thing -while some of them are the best texturers you could find- so, the hobbyst -often with money, purchases every candy tool out there, zbrush, etc.Many from mac field- or the independent designer that works for it for a living, not games, but do design hi res artwork for a living.he probably would not need to stay in the constrains of game artwork and this kind of quick tool could be a good thing to have.

If you anounce it in places (renderosity, I don't know) where you can find that other type of artists, well, you may have more sells.

Basicly, the "pros" (like 7 or 8, or so, very good friends of mine) I know at this, arrive way too tired at home and last thing to see is an screen again(at least those I know)..they handle the expensive tools the company has, at the company...