Level Design In Maya?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Level Design In Maya?

aCiD2(Posted 2004) [#1]
Any of you have any advice on this? Im pretty new to modelling... just using the PLE version of Maya 5 atm. Anyhoo, any good links to tutorials, tips and stuff? Or MEL Scripts like "Game Level Builder" for max?

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#2]
I know the book "Game Art for Teens" (stupid title) talks a lot about creating levels in Maya. As for stuff online, um, I've never bothered to look.

As for getting the actual level into Blitz, you can export obj and open that in gile[s], or you can export DirectX file format and convert using Ultimate Unwrap. I'm working on a b3d exporter for Maya, but am already WAY behind in finishing it.

Big&(Posted 2004) [#3]
Have a look here. Its not specific to level building but has tutorials for just about everything.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#4]
On the official Alias site there is a video tutorial on modeling a spiral staircase:
http://www.alias.com/eng/community/tutorials/index.jhtml;$sessionid$UNGAV1RHWYUQNQCLCWSCFEWAJMK0KIV0

That's a start.

napole0n(Posted 2004) [#5]
I wouldn't use Maya for leveldesign, but rather for creating art elements for use in your level. I prefer to write my own leveleditors (and there are plenty good shareware leveldesign tools available from members of this forum) and use my Maya-crafted elements as 'tiles' if you will. This saves a lot of re-exporting and other quirks.