Wings3d problem

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Wings3d problem

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#1]
Sometimes when I create a model in WIngs3D the polygons are not evenly lit when i export,
I export to UU3D and blitz and some polygons are brightly lit whereas others are dark right next to each other making it look like a chessboard.

The problem seems to originate in Wings3D, but it is not visible in Wings3D. Can anyone help?

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#2]
The wings forum might be a better place to get a good answer.

Synchronist(Posted 2004) [#3]
Are you triangulating the mesh before you save it out? A mesh that has quads will not always calculate the lighting normal correctly because the vertices for a quad are not alway planar.

To fix it: in W3D so I choose the "Face" mode for the object, select all faces with rubber band box, right click on open area, click on "Tesselate", and choose "Triangulate". That usually fixes the problem. The vertices of each triangles are planar and the lighting normal is correct.

Another thought: you can also select individual "problem" quads and triangulate them.

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#4]
the triangulation still didnt fix it unfortunetly thanks for the try

UPDATENORMALS in blitz has doen the trick, does anyone know of an equivalent in UU3D??

big10p(Posted 2004) [#5]
Strange, wings is normally (ho-ho) fine with normals when exporting. What format are you exporting from wings?

Don't know if this lib (blitz include - not dll) is of any use - it lets you view/draw normals of blitz meshes:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=1085#comments

Try exporting the model in .3DS and then load it straight into blitz, using the above lib.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#6]
I think there is a checkbox for vertex normals when you export b3d from Ultimate Unwrap. I know there is a way of updating normals in UU, I just don't remember it off the top of my head.

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#7]
I got it working eventually by using UU3D to smooth and flip a few faces.
thanks everyone