Is TerraEd content inherently slow in-game?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Is TerraEd content inherently slow in-game?

WarpZone(Posted 2004) [#1]
The compiled demo (landscape-V2.exe) seems to run extremely slowly on my computer compared to a simmilar 3D application with realtime Level-Of-detail landscapes, such as the demo version of Alpha Black Zero. Is this just because the TerraEd demo uses the biggest map you could create with TerraEd? Is Blitz3D just slow? Or is the demo just programmed really poorly with a faulty main loop?

I have noticed that the editor itself (TerraEd 2.exe) seems to run very slowly, too, and doesn't refresh very often. (~5fps) I was wondering if anybody else experiences this? Or does EVERYBODY else experience this, and this is just one of the quirks of working with Blitz?

I noticed that the realitime shiny water demo was nice and fast, but the example file with the birds flying through the canyons was really slow. So maybe it all depends on how a user programs their main loop? If so, then I hope the author of TerraEd learns how to write a better main loop. If not, then I hope Blitz3D gets more efficient.

If the problem is my NVidia GeForce4 Ti 4400, then I think I will cry. :(

Magian(Posted 2004) [#2]
I'm having the same trouble with TerraEd in the app itself. I've only used the demo, however, so I have not been able to export out to try in Blitz3D.

WarpZone(Posted 2004) [#3]
Likewise, I'm very new to Blitz. Too new to simply look at the code in the .bb file that comes with the demo and say "Ah! Here's the problem! He used Wait instead of Vwait!" Does anybody more experienced know?

Filax(Posted 2004) [#4]
I think that the problem is blitz with the entity number and the collisions ....
why ? because in editor mode i have not tweeening
method and i have de activate the flip (false method) :)
terraed was coded with a pentium 4 1.5 ghz and a GEForce 2MX ! i have
made the demo landscape with this. Soo terraed include a culling
method for reduce entity number... Next TerraEd use a blitz GUI,
this stuff consume more the FPS compared to a window interface....

Maybe try TerraEd and the Demo landscape with another computer ?

What is your configuration.??

And please can you modify a little bit the topic title ? because this
title can discredit my product ...

Regards

Wiebo(Posted 2004) [#5]
He can't change the topic title. And , well, it's a legit question.

Filax(Posted 2004) [#6]
Sure ! but do you understand my point of view ?

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#7]
Warpzone,

5 fps???? My PC runs TerraEd at a much higher frame rate than this, although I couldn't tell you exactly.

When you boot up TerraEd is it slow to respond with no entities in it? Is it when you are adding lots of entities or just when you make a height map?

How many entities and what entities are you using? Have you created your own? How many polygons are they?

Please give us some more detail to consider.

I have been using TerraEd since day 1 and it runs really, really well on my 1.9 Athlon with 512MB RAM and a GeForce 3 (64mb).

Runs fine on my laptop too! (which is a surprise!).

If you are comparing B3d to C++ or asmbler applications then I think you are being too severe. Blitz - although very fast - is not as swift as c++ or asm - so any comparisons will be disappointing.

Best regards,

IPete2.

robby x(Posted 2004) [#8]
Warpzone,
you are right, TerraEd and Blitz3D, ... runs very slow on some computers. But it depends on the NVIDIA graphic card and /or driver.
I had the same problem you described. But on my Notebook the apps are running well...

Rob

paultheaxeman(Posted 2004) [#9]
I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that there is no problem with TerraEd. I've been running it now for a few weeks and am extremely happy with it and especially the support of the authors. Within the editor itself it runs at an extremely high FPS, not sure what FPS but I know its high. In my current project I started from a blank terrain and have at the moment just over 1,700 entities placed over the terrain without any noticeable drop in FPS. It is slightly slower on my laptop but the graphics card is one of those cheap built in things so can't really complain about that. My GFX card on the main PC is a FX5200, nothing special, AMD1.7 and 256mb. I assume everybody has the latest drivers for there GFX cards? Oh, and I also have Visual Blitz (IDE) from the same people(3dgametool), also an excellent product.

Dirk Krause(Posted 2004) [#10]
I am quite sure that all thesee problems are induced by the graphics driver. As I stated in some other post, I had problems with the TerraEd GUI, and these were gone after installing the newest NVidia driver.

I tested it on four PCs and one Laptop - everything was all right.

Affje(Posted 2004) [#11]
im using terraed as well and i have absolutely no problems with it. its very fast and the executables are also very fast.
my maps are very huge and have a lots of objects (>10000) and its very fast.

ihave an ati graphics card, a pentium IV with 2.53ghz and 512mb of ram.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#12]
Sure ! but do you understand my point of view ?

You can't control the media and you can't control what people will say about your product online. There's no point even worrying about it...

Anybody who is half serious about using TerraEd would click on the topic and read the responses anyway.

OrcEpic(Posted 2004) [#13]
I m using too TerraED, and its very fast.
I programmed (IA) pathfinding for my game, on grounds of TerraEd and I did not have any problem of response time.

It's a very great tools, which saves enormously time in developement of game.

ATI 8500
AMD XP 2000
512 ram

Filax(Posted 2004) [#14]
EpicBoy, i don't want control media :) lol

But the futur customer's can make confusion about real
WarpZone PC speed or TerraEd speed :)

Do not see evil where there is not !

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#15]
TerraED runs like a whippet for me.

When you first start it just make sure you dont have Anti-A on or anything like that.

TBH I dont have a problem with it at all, only a few requests which Filax knows about.

its all good here

Warren(Posted 2004) [#16]
But ... you are. You want the topic title changed because it reflects badly on your product. That's media control.

But whatever...

GR(Posted 2004) [#17]
No problems here, both the editor and the resulting demo code run very well for me. No slowdown at all. A truly excellent tool that actually is supported by the author unlike other tools I have purchased.

I also understand Filax's issue with the title as I don't think it is a problem with TerraEd per se. It would be helpful if some Aquamark scores were posted by those having problems, maybe it's a videocard or motherboard AGP driver problem... who knows? It runs great for me so if this were truly a TerraEd problem then methinks that more people would be complaining about it.

I will say that the GUI is a tad sluggish but I have had some problems with GUIs in B3D apps in general.

Filax(Posted 2004) [#18]
EpicBoy :) Stop to watching XFiles :) lol

Warren(Posted 2004) [#19]
OK, so you're NOT asking to have the topic title changed then?

Sorry, my mistake.

WarpZone(Posted 2004) [#20]
WOW! I updated my drivers, and it's running GREAT now! I thought I'd already installed the latest drivers, but maybe I was mistaken. I'm gonna go see how Ground Control runs now! :P

Forum Moderators, if it's possible, could you please rename or delete this topic? Filax and Blitz3D are both great products. You just need the latest graphics drivers or there's a HUGE speed difference in certian types of Blitz Apps. (Even the scrolling text at the start of the BB files that come with Blitz seemed lagged before, sometimes even if the program itself ran silky-smooth.)

Smurfpuss(Posted 2004) [#21]
Well landscape runs nice on my computer
with 1024*768*32 and antialasing on 21-30fps
with 1024*768*32 and antialasing off 44-60fps

and i thing that is great

my computer is a 2,5Ghz P4 with 512mbram and Geforce4Ti4800

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#22]
Nobody ever deleted my first ALE thread when Filax came in and started talking bo**ocks about it not working. Then it turned out TerraEd was actually at fault. Wierd...

Doggie(Posted 2004) [#23]
Hehe

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#24]
Thats why forums suck (all forums), because they can get out of hand so easily.

Filax(Posted 2004) [#25]
Skitchy ??? :/ remember, you have modify some stuff in ALE and
the terrain work now ?? be honest ...

I have not critic ALE i have just say that the B3D file won't load with
TerraEd ! it's a bug reporting.

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#26]
Quote from Filax :

I don't understand the problem ?? because when importing
B3D Gile lightmaped object under terraed it work perfectly.

I think that the problem is you B3D export ?? If the
problem was only on terraed, i understand ! but Giles have
the problem too ...

Quote from me :

Well, what I'm saying is that I can't alter the code to other peoples tools. All I can do is provide a .b3d exporter that exports meshes that load and work perfectly in Blitz3D (which I have done).

Quote from Fredborg :

There was a small bug in gile[s] which caused vertex alpha to be overwritten right after loading :) It works fine with the demo landscape in the next update!

Quote from Filax (a little late in the game) :

After a little research i have see the problem with terraed
it's the entityblend mode. I have modify my code for loading ALE map without problem. Soon in the 2.07 release.

Sorry Skitchy

So you (and your 'followers') convinced loads of people that my program was faulty (despite the fact I had *proved* otherwise) before checking your own code. But by then the damage was already done, the sales already lost, and the reputation already tarnished.

Its called bug reporting

Why report bugs with YOUR program to ME though? Its like me posting
"Blitz is crap Mark, 'cos my program wont run when I type Gafix1D(9999,9999,7,3)".

I hope this thread has made you realise how it feels when people say damaging things in public about your hard work that simply aren't true.

Karma.

GR(Posted 2004) [#27]
Well, an interesting reply from Skitchy. I don't think Filax or anybody else was atacking you or ALE:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=34215

I don't think it was anything Filax said that cost you sales, he was only asking about what he thought was a bug with ALE:

Quote from Filax
"I use only standar command like LoadMesh or LoadAnimMesh for loading mesh under terraed. I think maybe a problem with your UV ?? because your mesh is loading well but the texture rendering make problem."

Hardly an attack in my opinion. I was going to buy ALE but didn't because it seemd that there were some fulfillment issues and I wasn't sure what was going on with that so I decided to wait a bit. Then after Filax's question... well, let's just say that the way you handled it did not impress me. Maybe you should have taken it offline and worked with them via email.

Doggie(Posted 2004) [#28]
I hope this thread has made you realise how it feels when people say damaging things in public about your hard work that simply aren't true.

Well yeah! How do you think I felt when you said that HomeSpun was "Hardly a work of genious"???

Of course, the difference is, what you said was true...

Peace

Doggie

Filax(Posted 2004) [#29]
Skitchy ..... (sigh) :| does not go in war against me, I'm not your enemy....

joncom2000(Posted 2004) [#30]
Both TerraEd and ALE do what they were designed to do, it's up to the users to choose the method they wish to use. Both tools are great for what they do and each has it's place in the blitz community.

There are demo's of both programs available, I suggest anyone looking for this type of editor download and try both and choose the one they feel most comfortable using :)