Blender exporter

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Blender exporter

Dark Ray(Posted 2004) [#1]
HI!
Is there any .b3d exporter for Blender?

Cheers,

Dark Ray.

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#2]
There is a basic convertor made by Mr Shagwana. He is away on holiday at the moment tho.

Shagwana(Posted 2004) [#3]
And now im back! - a link to it is here

As it stands, that was the latest version. I might get back to it one day!

JoeGr(Posted 2004) [#4]
Is it just me or has Blender become a little bit ropey since they started releasing new versions again? It seems that some nice bits and pieces are being added but I still find myself going back to the last NaN release. The new ones feel kind of 'broken' somehow. If only someone would realise that the main thing it always needed was some proper export options.

Sorry, almost started ranting there. :)

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#5]
I could never get used to the interface. But its potential is very good from the Screen Shots.

Bob3d(Posted 2004) [#6]
Hey! That'd actually rock :)

Indeed, you can import a b3d file in Ultimate Unwrap for further editing. Like doing a weld of the character, etc. :)

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#7]
You should look into Peter Scheutz's XML-b3d convert code. That's how I'm planning to do b3d export from Maya: write an XML file of the data, and then use his converter to create a b3d file.

Bob3d(Posted 2004) [#8]
oh, i see...you have stopped it for some time...

Well, directx exporter for blender is having its final touches...In some time it will be ended.
Once there, any Ultimate Unwrap user will be able to open it and convert to b3d, as always.
Now is NOT yet ended, though there's an available donwload..

...anyway, I don't think there's a single Blender user like me in Blitzbasic world...if so, say Hi... ;)

oh, well, apart from the ones here... :)

Anyway, @Joe, I like Blender UI now than before, reason why in October I started seriously learning it... :)

EddieRay(Posted 2005) [#9]
Hey Bob3D... I've been trying to learn Blender, and I must say there's some things I really like about it. I actually *like* the keyboard-intensive kinds of apps like Blender because they don't require me to constantly futz with menus, move my hand from the keyboard to the mouse and back just to change views/modes/etc.

I too am looking for a good B3D exporter for Blender. I found a link a week or two ago, but it must have been on another computer. There was a site with a B3D exporter for 3 versions of Blender I think. I tried the oldest one and didn't have much success getting it to work on a simple export. Maybe the newest one is better. I need one that can handle bones (armatures).

I'm pretty well versed in Python, but not Blender-Python, so I'd have to look at other exporter code to get a clue before I could give it a shot myself... if needed...

Does anyone know why the DX8 exporter for Blender has the requirements about one armature, and one mesh, and they have to be at the same location and same orientation? That seems odd... and why can't the exporter just fix that stuff up? In my short testing, I found that I couldn't use ALT-A without having my mesh and/or armatures getting flipped around (and I had to manually put them back in place)... how do I avoid that issue?

Anyway... thanks!

Bob3d(Posted 2005) [#10]
Look

if u have Ultimate Unwrap, the x exporter will perfectly convert the x to b3d.

There's an Ultimate Unwrap special version posted in the very last thread about x exporter, very recently, some days ago, at elysiun forums. Go there, to python and plugins section, dig for that thread, probably yet in the first page of that section, as was some days ago....

BTW, I happen to find better for my purposes a modification of the x exporter made by this guy...it has even settings and a gui fo rthose problems u mention.,...and others.

here:

www.mindfloaters.de

I use that one (1.2.1 x mod exporter) often.

That is: Having Ultimate Unwrap, and some trial and error (like usual with x format and most packages, specially with bone-weight-anim stuff) , it works quite well for producing B3Ds... (or just x, cal3d, md2, ms3d, md3, md5 if u also work for othe rengines)

It's allways bout finding the right plugin, and doing some trial and error.

Oh, I don't think u'll have a problem programing plugins for python: you actually would benefit a lot, as u can increase blender functionality in the way u need, and not wait till some one else is in the mood for it...sharing then with comunity, is a nice detail ;)

edit--- argh...mindfloaters site is down...well...a zip I made now with all the plugins I like for games...many are not online anyomre, so better grab this....the good x exporters are sepcially direcxexportermod, or something like that....also u can try with the UU3d version...though I prefer the other.

There's also other obj and 3ds plugins that I prefer to native, also md2 and md3, both with anim (the md2 even with md2 anim import, md3 I think only exports md3.All these exporters work very well. Not included md5, but u can find that one easily digging for der_ton posts at Elysiun. )

Grab this:
(left click, don't right click, not here, nor in the next page at download hosted file link)
http://uploads.savefile.com/redir/127076.zip

EddieRay(Posted 2005) [#11]
Thanks for all the tips Bob3D!