Mesh LOD

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Mesh LOD

SabataRH(Posted 2004) [#1]
Well its taken awhile to get it working but treescape will now export 3 levels of each tree created, plus a bmp for use with sprites.. Have a look at reduction algo in use! Excuse the uv's on the trunk mesh as it's not yet exported to my save files.

lod high

lod med

lod low

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#2]
Groovy. :)
How many trunk/leaf textures will be included?

ZombieWoof(Posted 2004) [#3]
geeez -- I'd take the low poly version as a starting point for most of what I'd use trees for -- or lower :)

Other than that -- looks awesome :)

SabataRH(Posted 2004) [#4]
I feel the poly can go even lower on the med and low exports as theres no real need to export the branches as those screenshots do.
How many trunk/leaf textures will be included?

A large set of building materials will be included, unlike treemagik and other various apps - you won't be limited to an included set of leaf textures. You'll be able to create leaf textures on the fly and actually paint on the tree or simply create a skin inside the app and apply it globally. Of course there will be numerous premade sets included for fast random generations.. A large set of leaf brushes will be included allowing for unlimited possibilites, mix and match!.

Zombie, as this app isn't aimed directly towards blitz3d I elected to use a more realistic and modern approach to tree building. As such the case may be - that requires additional polys. I think anyone can make billboard trees so I would only be wasting my time making a tool that generates 30 poly sprite/billboard trees. Most of today's games use trees in the 1200 -2200 poly range. Even speedtree2, which advertises 'Ultra low-poly game trees!' has a min. poly count of 1200 with low-lod set to 800 poly.

Besides, with todays gear; poly count is less an issue.. The real burden is fillrate and how well you manage texture usuage. Thats where speed is gainned. Not lower poly counts.