Slim Shady Lightmapper released

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Slim Shady Lightmapper released

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#1]
Slim Shady V. 0.2beta Freeware Lightmapper has just been released. Let me know when there are any problems.
http://www.melog.ch/slimshady/

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2004) [#2]
Why don't you charge for it?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#3]
Because

-It is a very simple App, far away from to be perfect.

- I took a lot from the code Archives (eg. YAL, the lighmapping algo).

-It was me who opened a thread named "blitz needs more freeware apps!". :)

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2004) [#4]
:P

Filax(Posted 2004) [#5]
very good job :) continue ! i like the rendering
but i keep my giles for the moment :)

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#6]
Nice one. Two things tho, on the website, grey on black is very hard to read. And, surely the lightmapping before texturing needs sorting out very badly? Maybe drop a line to Terabit?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#7]
Thanks. filax - of course, gile[s] is much better. But at least this is now a freeware alternative for the low budgets. MasterBeaker - yes, I guess Decorator only needed a function to export without lightmap. I'll check this out. It isn't a massive problem since Maplet required to lightmap first too, so it's about the same situation, byside the fact that now you can have non-mapletish geometry get lightmapped.

Doggie(Posted 2004) [#8]
Yo. Thanks. 'preciate your efforts.

Panno(Posted 2004) [#9]
hmm jfk i think this have "potential"

greetinx

danjo(Posted 2004) [#10]
well done jfk, i like it

joncom2000(Posted 2004) [#11]
Nice one JFK :)

rsbrowndog(Posted 2004) [#12]
Fantastic stuff, thanks very much jfk.

Cheers,

Ryan

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#13]
thanks, nice to see you like it. BTW.

Right now I tried again to work with a Decorator-exported Mesh and it worked ok. Maybe the reason why it orked is, I saved the Mesh in Maplet without lightmap, then loaded it in Decorator and saved it non-welded(F9). However, it might be some kind of trial and error. Especially when the MaxMapsize in Slim Shady is not fully utilized (eg. you define it to be 512, but YAL "decides" to use only 256, but doubles the UV values instead...)

This is far from exact science. See it as a game - kinda "return of the mutant bugs" :/

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#14]
ouch! silly me, it seems like I only forgot to copy not only the mesh, but also the lightmap to the test folder, so it used to load a lightmap texture that was created with the wrong lumelsize...

So currently it seems there is no reason for NOT using Decorator first, and then load it in Slim Shady. Makes Screen design a lot easier.