C++

Community Forums/Developer Stations/C++

David819(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi, i have been thinking of buying C++ for my games to work along side blitz3d, but need help on which is best to choose. can anyone help me find out which would be best for game developement (Dev C++, Visual C++, C++ .NET, etc)?

Isaac P(Posted 2004) [#2]
your probably better off learning c# at this stage in the game

Isaac P(Posted 2004) [#3]
your probably better off learning c# at this stage in the game

ZombieWoof(Posted 2004) [#4]
c# -- there is even a 3D engine example over at codeproject.com to get you started

David819(Posted 2004) [#5]
Yea but which is the fastest version of c#/c++ for games?

Ken Lynch(Posted 2004) [#6]
I'd recommend trying Dev C++ because it is free.

You could also take a look at sharp develop for c# and vb.net stuff

http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/

It is also free and very good.

N(Posted 2004) [#7]
What Ken Lynch said.

Magitta(Posted 2004) [#8]
You could also try Eclipse with the C++ plugin. Eclipse was originally written for JavaDev and I'm really pleased with it. It's free and it's like 100x better then MS VS .net. I haven't tried the C++ plugin yet, but I'm sure it's nice too. Give it a try, it's free.

David819(Posted 2004) [#9]
ok i'll have a look at those, but i'm not really looking of free/cheap stuff, i'm looking for quality in the product.

JaviCervera(Posted 2004) [#10]
Dev-C++ is very good, but Visual C++ is the best, without any doubts.

Tiggertooth(Posted 2004) [#11]
You can download Microsoft's .NET Frameworks 1.1 SDK, which includes their non-optimized C\C++ compiler for free. If you like it, you can buy Visual Studio C++ (.NET) for say $250 or so.

For PC, .NET is your best price/compatibility product. Everyone in the game industry knows it so easy to get help. For raw performance, many companies use the Intel compilers. But they don't ship with an IDE, so I wouldn't recommend them.

Outside the PC, the choices vary widely. You could buy CodeWarrior's solution, but since you don't know C++ yet, I think you'd be wasting your money. I would try it first before spending much money and decide if you really want to write in C++ (or C# for that matter).

I would recommend C++ over C# if you're serious about game development, but I'm very biased :-)

Ken

David(Posted 2004) [#12]
the .net is the best you can download in emule or edonkey, etc ;)
i test c#, visual basic and c++ with directx sample browser and c++ win others, and c# win at visual basic.
i have engine 3d in c++ ( http://www.davidib.com/proyectos/dibmotor.htm ) but i wait blitzmax for compile in mac and linux ;)
blitzmax have class, etc is oop

JaviCervera(Posted 2004) [#13]
the .net is the best you can download in emule or edonkey, etc ;)
what are u doing? Suggesting to download pirate software? Then I see this thread locked soon, or you beign banned.

As Tigger said, the .net framework contain the non-optimized C++ compiler, but Microsoft also offers their Professional edition optimized C++ compiler in the VCToolKit. It is a command-line version, but I think you would make it work with the Dev-C++ IDE.

David(Posted 2004) [#14]
for view .net the best option is download the emule and others, if you like buy it

David819(Posted 2004) [#15]
ok, i think i'll download the .net framework sdk and look into the idea of visual c++ .net, David I dont want a pirate copy of the software because it wont be as good, might have faults and also it is against the law to do so.

David(Posted 2004) [#16]
ummmm read my previous post

"for view .net the best option is download the emule and others, if you like buy it "

if i like the pirate why buy blitz3d? ;)

i dont like pirate copy of software (i make apps for comercial use) but is necesary for view apps and buy before if i like it, example: i dont like the ide of blitz3d, i search one ide but i cant found one i like, if i buy all ide i see and i dont like it i am stupid or no? i download the pirate or demo and if i like buy the ide

David819(Posted 2004) [#17]
i dunno which to get,
Borland C++ Builder Personal 6.0 Full System
Visual C++ .NET Standard 2003
which do you think would be the best and fastest for game developement, also which has more c++ direct x and opengl commands in it?

joncom2000(Posted 2004) [#18]
Well I know Visual C++.Net 2003 comes with the Opengl lib files and since MS created DirectX the SDK for it tends to include VC++ demos.

I personally bought VC++.Net 2003 because most books and websites cover it more than the others and it seems the better option for me :)

David819(Posted 2004) [#19]
ok so Visual C++.Net 2003 would be my best bet and it should have dirext x support included. thanks

joncom2000(Posted 2004) [#20]
It has the DX8 files included by the look of it, not really got into that side yet. Of course for games you either go Opengl or DirectX so you have the choice of either :)

[EDIT] I got some example sources for directx running from it without installing any SDK but I think there only DX8 ones so if you want DX9 features then it's probably worth downloading the SDK which includes examples as well :)

David819(Posted 2004) [#21]
Hi just one last question, which is used more for game developement in bug companies like EA and such, visual basic or visual c++?

Warren(Posted 2004) [#22]
Visual C++. I can't think of a single big game company that writes in Visual Basic.

David819(Posted 2004) [#23]
ok thank you all for your help.

charliex(Posted 2004) [#24]
most commercial games companies use intels compiler or gcc for console dev.

the last thing i vaguely remember in VB was the unreal editor, which was recoded later

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#25]
VC++ 6 without any doubt.

.NET Framework is still causing more trouble than it helps and as long as you don't create an normal application the .NET has no use.

you won't find many gamers with .NET anyway just to mention ... and i don't think that this will really change ...

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#26]
VB just in not a great development platform. But its possible.

If you want to try a .net engine, http://www.truevision3d.com/ its a really good engine, I personally prefer blitz, but I hate coding in C unless I have to. :p

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#27]
especially C++ can cost a lot of nerves ...

pScene->TimeModule->*(someblabla).Seconds

and stuff like this can make reading more complex algorithms really a hell

Synchronist(Posted 2004) [#28]
Hmm, if you want to lock yourself into just programming for the M$ platform, then by all means VC++ would be the ticket.
However, if you want to be able to program cross-platform, then Dev-C++ for the IDE and mingw (based on gcc)for the compiler would work very well. I use both to code M$ and Linux stuff. Both the Dev-C++ IDE and mingw compilers are free and very good quality.

[EDIT] As an aside, if you want to see C++ in action, you might check out the Irrlicht game engine. It's pretty cool and the author is also coding a .net version.

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#29]
Oh I agree with you CodeMeister DevC++ is great http://www.bloodshed.net/ is where to get it.

ZombieWoof(Posted 2004) [#30]
@dreamora: if your installer doesnt install the .Net runtime if its not present, you need a better installer :)

@Goober: For the most extensive library of existing code, C++, for the simplest interface to DirectX, C#... C# just means a little bit of work porting c++ to c# or creating a C++ DLL and using .Net InteropServices to access the DLL if you really need a piece of code someone else has done.. not all that difficult...

@CodeMeister: There is at least one C# engine out there that are compatible with Mono -- the cross-platform .Net runtime... so portability is quickly becoming less of an issue.

David819(Posted 2004) [#31]
thanks, i dont think i will be able to make games for linux but i can try when i get used to using c++ (when i get it). about .net will i just get Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 Standard instead? or get MS Visual C++ Professional Edition - ( v. 6.0 ) - licence - 1 user - VOL - Level B - CD - Win? i'm looking on amazon if you have any good ideas could you put a link to the product please so i can view it please.

joncom2000(Posted 2004) [#32]
Anything you can do in Visual C++ 6 you can do in the .Net version, it's just that the .Net version includes the .Net sdk stuff as well so you can if you want develop for that platform as well. You can create non .Net stuff just as you could before and any VC++ 6 projects seem to convert to the new versions no problem.