Blitz3D Material Editor

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Blitz3D Material Editor

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#1]
Download (1.95 mb)

This tool lets you adjust Blitz3D brush and texture properties with a windows interface, and view the results in real-time. Save a .b3d brush, then load it in your own program.

Cut and copy this link into your browser if you want to buy this for a measly $12. I don't usually go for the cheap-and-simple stuff, but I was doing this anyways, so if I can make a few bucks, it's worth spending a few minutes on and making it pretty:
https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=josh%40darkbasic.com&item_name=Blitz3D+Material+Editor&amount=12.00&no_note=1&currency_code=USD

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#2]
that looks very cool and useful. I had no idea blitz's normal mapping was that effective!
Thanks halo.

SabataRH(Posted 2004) [#3]
Yah I agree, decent look tool !

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#4]
Okay, it's finished. The link is above.

Fixed some minor things, added more example files, and a replacement LoadBrush() function that will work with both .b3d brushes and existing LoadBrush() calls. Enjoy.

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#5]
Cool - nice tool / app!

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#6]
Anyone want to make some icons for the toolbar? I need icons for the four view modes.

aCiD2(Posted 2004) [#7]
Very useful and well made!!!! Thanks Halo! :D

popcade(Posted 2004) [#8]
Some feedbacks:

Load of textures fail when I try to load a .b3d outside the program directory, a bit inconvenient.

For example, if I want to load a model in C:\Works, I have to copy that model and it's textures to Material Editor's directory.

A nice tool anyway.

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#9]
Very nice Halo.

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#10]
NetRiSCO:

hahahahaha

Tracer(Posted 2004) [#11]
Do you still need icons halo? I can arrange a few if you want.

Tracer

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#12]
Thanks, I got it.

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#13]
Adding layers now, for multiple passes. Notice the window frame is no longer full-bright. This is impossible without multiple layers. Also notice the combination of vertex colors and bump mapping:

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#14]
It's surprising that none did this before.

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#15]
Added shaders, so you can apply Quake 3-like shaders to any texture and view the results instantly. This is a material for a tree bough, with a slowly swaying masked leaf texture:

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#16]
How does the load and usage work?
( btw: now the tool reached the area where it might be fair to sell it. cool work :) )

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#17]
Not sure yet. I haven't written a save/load function that includes multiple layers and shaders, since the .b3d format doesn't support it.

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#18]
Ah ok
So this needs a specific update function for usage in a project, right?

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#19]
For using shaders and such, yes. For using plain brushes, no, except for the LoadBrush() command.

For some reason looking at the first picture on this thread makes me kind of sick to my stomach, it is so ugly.

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#20]
its not ugly ... only a little very bit overlightened on its top :)

but the new ones look far better

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#21]
Window, now with proper shading, non-overlapping environmental reflection, and transparency. This is impossible to do with the standard "brush" system.

Also, here is some more foliage. The grass sways back and forth slowly. The material can be applied to any object without losing the shader behavior.

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#22]
why?
Shouldn't this be possible if the windows just have an alpha value < 1 and the "non glass" parts have alpha 1?
and reflection over cube mapping?

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#23]
halo, why are you putting in shaders if there's no compatibility for it in blitz, are you planning to make this for other engines too?

Panno(Posted 2004) [#24]
nice app halo thx

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#25]
When you load the material, it creates shaders and then you just call UpdateShaders() any time you render.

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#26]
I'm not going to bother releasing an updated demo unless a few people are really interested in buying it. I need to work on my map editor.

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#27]
This is starting to sound useful. I may look into buying this eventually... I'll keep a tab on it for sure.

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#28]
I'm not going to bother releasing an updated demo unless a few people are really interested in buying it.

And conversely: many people will not be interested in buying it unless you release an updated demo. :)

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#29]
I'd buy it when it has more features..at present it's little more than a material editor..I think it's best home is in cshop, that would be a useful addition assuming it doesn't have one already.

A seperate product...it's like 3dmax removing the 3dmax from 3dmax and just selling the material editor. I.e you're targetting too much of a 'niche' market. IMO.

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#30]
especially as the old demo is just a usage of standard blitz3D commands and code archive samples, there won't be much ppl beeing really interested in it

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#31]
exactly, I'm interested currently by the shaders only. Perhaps a code example of what all this adds to somebody's creations would help?

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#32]
Sorry, not worth my valuable time.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#33]
Lol, that's going to get you a few sales more!

I'm also very interested in how you managed to get shaders working in a file format that has no support for shaders..;)

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#34]
1. .b3d does not contain shaders, but .mat does.

2. When you load a .mat file, it calls the shader DLL and creates a shader.

3. Every time you call UpdateShaders() the DLL...updates the shaders, positioning, scaling, and rotatingthe texture.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#35]
Sorry, not worth my valuable time.

But posting pithy comments on an internet forum is...

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#36]
Epicboy - you got a lisp?

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#37]
Runtime example of this? so we see it's power?

nobody buys a cat in a bag ( ok did it once with MMORPGCE but ppl learn from faults )

Warren(Posted 2004) [#38]
Master

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=pithy

Thilly boy!

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#39]
Consisting of or resembling pith.

Don't you hate those kinds of definitions?

Halo, just a couple of spinning cubes would work just fine as a demo.

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#40]
Im interested, totally would find this useful, but I want to see a updated Demo.

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#41]
what happened to this? It was starting to look quite useful.

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#42]
Nothing happened. It's done.

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#43]
Okay, it's just that the demo download etc. was all broken so I was mistaken. It seems to be all back up now.

boomboom(Posted 2007) [#44]
Hey, is this still around? Are you still selling it or have you released it for free?

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#45]
yeah, I'd like to try a demo of this..

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#46]
i have the old old version without the shaders but thats it.
DEMO! DEMO! DEMO!

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#47]
err....where lol

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#48]
i could post the old one in a while...

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#49]
why in a while?

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#50]
i'm not at my computer right now

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#51]
that's a joke, right? or do you mean your other computer lol.

IPete2(Posted 2007) [#52]
I think if you wander around the Leadwerks website you may find it.

IPete2.

boomboom(Posted 2007) [#53]
Still can't seem to get a hold of this?

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#54]
leadwerks had the full program for download about a year ago on there site ill see if i can find it on the harddrive and check the licence

boomboom(Posted 2007) [#55]
that would be cool if you have it :)

Hotshot2005(Posted 2008) [#56]
It is possible to have Shader Editor for Blitz 3D even thought I think Blitz 3D doesnt support Shader.

correct me if I am wrong.