Giles - questions before possible purchase

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Giles - questions before possible purchase

Matty(Posted 2004) [#1]
I've looked at the Giles website and some of the scenes rendered look very nice. I see it exports to b3d but I'd like to know - is the general procedure in lightmapping a level for blitz as simple as:

1.Make model in modeling program
2.Import model into Giles
3.Do Lightmapping stuff with Giles
4.Export as b3d
5.Load into blitz3d same way as with any other mesh, for example one made with maplet.

The step that I am most interested in is 5.

Thanks,

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#2]
Yes x 5

Matty(Posted 2004) [#3]
Thanks

Pongo(Posted 2004) [#4]
I see you already got your answer, but I wanted to add how excellent of a program Gile[s] is. I use it not only as a lightmapper, but also as an editor to position items in levels and change/make new materials as well.

If you haven't already, download the demo from the site. I believe it's fully functional (except save) so you can really try it out before buying.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#5]
plus, the author is constantly improving on the original formula... and the updates have been free to licensed users so far...

me thinks that you will be satisfied with it.

--Mike

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#6]
Matty,

Don't wonder any longer - it is simply the best at light mapping and positioning for B3d.

There also exists the ability to place pivots (empty objects or null objects if you like) so that in your code you can replace these with other things like particle emitters or other objects.

Gile[s] is simply put excellent. Tree[d] is pretty cool too as a free add on too, and the list of import/export capabilities is also almost without equal.

Best regards,

IPete2.

Filax(Posted 2004) [#7]
It's a great software ! purchase it !

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2006) [#8]
What is the GUI written in?

Beaker(Posted 2006) [#9]
Blitz3D (GUI and everything else). Fredborg wrote his own GUI.

Matty(Posted 2006) [#10]
For a moment there I thought someone was using my user account to create a post...until I saw that I posted this a year ago.