Ultimate Unwrap 3D

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Ultimate Unwrap 3D

po(Posted 2004) [#1]
I have made a model of a skateboard in Wings 3D and exported it to .3ds. I have never put a texture on any of the meshes I have made, so I don't know much. When I load it into Ultimate Unwrap 3D, it says it does'nt have any UV coordinates. All I want to do is a simple texture, but I don't know how.
Can someone tell me what to do?

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#2]
Well, that's the point of Unwrap 3d - to give UV coordinates to your meshs. For a skateboard, I would probably select the all the triangles on the board, and do a double sided planar mapping. Then, I would do cylindrical mappings on the wheels. Finally, the hardest part, the trucks. Probably depends on what yours look like - you could try a mixture of dual sided planar mapping and cylindrical mapping... but eh. Maybe your skateboard isn't that detailed.

po(Posted 2004) [#3]
Ok, my skateboard looks like this:

The trucks are kind of complicated I guess.
11 objects, 954 faces, 1656 edges, 780 vertices.
I will try what you said.

po(Posted 2004) [#4]
Bah, never mind, I only have the demo which does not allow saving. :) (Now Im screwed)

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#5]
mm. Well, I would recommend buying Ultimate Unwrap, but I'm biased cuz I really like it :P

Anyway, Other programs can probably do it, but not as easily or as well as UU3D

Wayne(Posted 2004) [#6]
Try LithUnwrap 1.3

big10p(Posted 2004) [#7]
You do know wings3D itself can do UV mapping, right? Wings is actually supposed to be very good for model unwraping if you learn to use it properly - which I haven't myself, yet.

Dirk Krause(Posted 2004) [#8]
What I tried and what worked in Wings3D is:
create a model
select model
right mouse click on model 'uv mapping'

in the upcoming right window rightclick somewhere and do
segment by projecton
then
continue by projection

there is the unwrapped texture. now rightclick on texture and do
create texture

then save as .obj., this will save the model and the texture with the correct uv coordinates, and you can edit the corresponding .png.

Regards,
Dirk

po(Posted 2004) [#9]
Now that I own UU3D, I am able to add UV coords, but I am wondering how people make presice textures.... Here is a pic of my skateboard unwrapped:

I want to make a texture with the wheels and griptape and stuff. You, know, what looks like a 3D texture flatned out.

Bolo_Loco(Posted 2004) [#10]
Hmmm,there is too much space between each single UV's.
you waste a lot of texture-space.
If you were willing to upload the model(or mail it),i could give you some more detailed tips.

Btw Gorilla.bas rulez ;-))

po(Posted 2004) [#11]
Ok, I have sent you an email.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#12]
hey po... i'm no expert on this... still learning... but try this...

select all, then go to Tools/UVMapping and select Box...

then unselect all...

now you can select certain geometry and uvs by dragging a box around it, and then move it around and scale it (Tools/Scale?Corner Free) the way you want it laid out...

when done, save the UVMAp, reload it into your favorite painter, and draw in your textures...

you can do this while UltUnwrap is running, and each time you save the UV map (skin, texture, whatever you wanna call it) you will see the changes immediately from the Preview Window.

Good Luck

--Mike

po(Posted 2004) [#13]
Using Reds way, I have managed to texture the deck quite nicely!:

Gangsta!
I am having a littile difficulty with the trucks though.

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#14]
You don't necessarily need to make a texture on the trucks, they're very nice already. Maybe just hope that the lighting treats them well and give it a simple grey colour.
Looks great so far!

po(Posted 2004) [#15]
My brothers friend left his skateboard at my house, and I used it to help me model this skateboard. The trucks on the real one are just 1 plain colour, so I suppose I could just have the trucks 1 giant UV coord.

po(Posted 2004) [#16]
see here: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=34774

ashmantle(Posted 2004) [#17]
The best way is to use the key "S", and then select some faces in the 3D view..
after you have selected then, do planar unwrapping (or whichever works best)

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#18]
i've found that in order to get into finely detailed spots, divide the model into smaller parts... the board, the trucks, the wheels...

and make separate uvs for each of em...

what i mean is to separate the model into it's genereric parts... save each one (or in the case fo the wheels,each group) as a separte item... load each into UUnwrap and make a UV for each...

.. then when done, load any one of the parts, and then merge each of the remain parts... then save the entire construction as whatever you like (.X, 3DS, .cob, .u3d, .dxf) import it into Milkshape, and export it to Blitz format...

it may not be the best way, but it is the easiest, and it works..

--Mike