Spaceship Textures

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Spaceship Textures

JKP(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi, I am working on a space-based game and have made some spaceship models, but I'm having some trouble with the textures. I've used an old version of LithUnwrap to assign UV coordinates to the mesh so that I can put details like hull plating, alien symbols etc. on the hull, but I also want to have lit windows as well. I think that I'll need another texture with its blending mode set to "add" so that the windows look bright even when facing away from lights. How can I add the second texture and assign different UV coordinates to it but still keep the texture underneath the same?

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#2]
If you want a second set of UV coordinates you will need to buy Ultimate Unwrap. However, the task you describe doesn't need an additional set of UV coordinates. You need to assign a different material to the windows, allowing you to assign a separate texture (and creating a separate surface in Blitz.) The UV coordinates for the window will overlap the UV coordinates for the rest of the ship but do not need to be separate.

JKP(Posted 2004) [#3]
Surely though that would mean that the windows would have to be the same size as the triangles I put them on or the textures would not meet properly? I need to be able to place loads of little windows, but still have the original texture underneath. In Star Trek Bridge Commander ships could have hundreds of windows. Take a look at a screenshot from Bridge Commander:

Click here

I realise that I'm never going to be able to create models and textures that good, but I think it demonstrates what I mean.

Maybe I'll look into buying Ultimate Unwrap if it can do multitexturing.

Eole(Posted 2004) [#4]
You can do multitexturing in Blitz and add blend mod ...

JKP(Posted 2004) [#5]
I know that Blitz can do multitexturing. The problem is that I don't think I can use the existing UV coordinates for the second texture, and I don't understand how to assign a new set of UV coordinates. Perhaps it will help if I upload an example.