@Fredborg re: Tree[d]

Community Forums/Developer Stations/@Fredborg re: Tree[d]

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#1]
PLEASE could you either :
- release a version of Tree[d] that exports .b3d
- release a .gls loader function

I'd pay a small fee for an export enabled version. I don't mind having to buy Gile[s] to get at the trees, but its sooooo annoying to have to convert every single model with a 'middle-man' program. :(

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#2]
Also, if anybody else has a .gls importer could you please share it. Thanks :)

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#3]
No :)

Caff(Posted 2004) [#4]
lol

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#5]
write a loader. or converter

or stitchy if you would extend your offer for small amount of money to anyone who will write one for you , you might get a reply. im sure many poeple here would find writing a simple exporter or converter for Giles format easy.

i wouldnt mind having one myself for tree(d) to use with maptile3d. and mmo crafter. So I wouldnt mind paying a small fee for it either.

Format.
http://www.frecle.net/giles/glsspecs.htm

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#6]
Alright - the first person to write me a fully working .gls loader function for B3D that I can use for whatever I want (no restrictions) can have a copy of ALE and access to all updates for free. If you don't want that, you can have a copy of anything from www.dyvision.co.uk
And if you don't want anything from there (you picky person you) then make a monetary quote for the work (payable by electronic means like PayPal) or I'll buy one of your products in exchange. :)

I could do it myself, but I'm VERY busy with ALE. Plus I hate writing importers/exporters ;)

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#7]
but I'm VERY busy with ALE
I'll have the same problem at the weekend.

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#8]
LOL - Everybody loves ALE

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#9]
@stitchy
well i see you are all for yourself here.. I was suggesting we both offer them a little cash via paypal.. then they could buy whatever they want.. be it software or somthing else.

ill put 15.00 USD in the pot if someone will get a converter made up.. or loader.

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#10]
well i see you are all for yourself here..

I don't understand what you mean? 'Everybody loves ALE' is a beer joke :)

If you want to put some money in the pot and get the loader that would be great. I was offering some products instead because its easier to do a straight swap via e-mail - but I did say I'd pay as well.

I must stress though, I want a loader function, not another converter (Gile[s] already does that. I just want to streamline the pipeline a little bit.

@Fredborg - Why not at least *condsider* a .b3d enabled version. Do it like Maplet (with .x) - anybody can have the 'lite' version but you have to pay for the .b3d export option.
I understand that Tree[d] is like a 'lure' for Gile[s] (sort of a free gift) but its a great product by itself. You already have the export functions, and I'd pay $10-$15 for the .b3d version. I'm sure others would too - even Gile[s] owners. Back me up somebody :)

Bremer(Posted 2004) [#11]
I can understand why Fredborg would want to refrain from making a b3d enabled version. I think its wise of him to keep it as something unique to Gile[s]. And I am sure that he would want more than $10-$30 to allow someone to freely use the generation code within their applications. I would suggest that you take a look at the giles export format and write an importer as I don't see him changing his mind :)

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#12]
I would suggest that you take a look at the giles export format and write an importer as I don't see him changing his mind :)

Thats what the plan is.. did you not read the above request addressed to the community ?

Bremer(Posted 2004) [#13]
Well, yes my main point was that I understand why Fredborg was doing it. I guess I could have left that last sentence out :)

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#14]
Some other sources for 3D trees, although they may not be suitable for games:

http://www.treemaker.nl/
http://www.inf.tu-dresden.de/ST2/cg/downloads/publicplants/

Have fun!

Rob(Posted 2004) [#15]
edit: I think it's a great app!

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#16]
Just curious, why doesn't tree[d] need a gile[s] serial number?

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#17]
Just curious, why doesn't tree[d] need a gile[s] serial number?

It wouldn't be much of a marketing tool if you had to already own Gile[s] in order to run it, would it? ;)

The idea is that you download Tree[D] for free, use it, like it, and it's another reason to buy Gile[s].

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#18]
yes, but then why not just make it a demo without save function, and package it for free with gile[s]? I'm not complaining, but I just find this to be somewhat silly... Still fun to play with though :D

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#19]
tree[d] is free!

But it can only export to .gls, so people who for some obscure reason doesn't want to use gile[s], will have to write their own loader. It isn't such a big mystery.

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#20]
Its not an obscure reason. I want this pipeline :
Make tree -> Load tree in engine

not

Make tree -> Load Gile[s] -> Load Tree -> Export Tree -> Load Tree in engine.

Can you see my point Fred? Like I said, I don't want this for free either. :)

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#21]
your path has just 1 failure -> where in this pipeline is the "lightmap tree"? :)

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#22]
If you think it's too cumbersome, then don't use it. Or write your own loader :)

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#23]
okay, so I can write my own loader? Thanks, that's all I need to know. I may be getting gile[s] eventually though, you'll be glad to hear.

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#24]
your path has just 1 failure -> where in this pipeline is the "lightmap tree"? :)

Lightmapping every single tree in a scene is eventually going to kill your framerate (depending on number of trees of course).

@Fred - I'm not saying its cumbersome. I'm not putting you down in any way at all. I LIKE your stuff - that's why I want to use it. :)

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#25]
Lightmapping every single tree in a scene is eventually going to kill your framerate (depending on number of trees of course).

Not if you light them with vertex lighting and/or have a decent occlusion system in place.

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#26]
@Fred - I'm not saying its cumbersome. I'm not putting you down in any way at all. I LIKE your stuff - that's why I want to use it. :)

I'm getting that feeling that my messages are bringing across the wrong tone... Ditto.

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#27]
Working on importer - Sofar it just grabs where the end of the file should be, where the start and end of where I think is vertice data is, and the names of the bark and leaves textures. This definitly won't be a general *.GLS importer - to difficult to do without specs.

edit: tobad none of the 'vertex data' looks to be int he right range... it's all stuff like 3.05834903E+30

edit again: okay, I found vertex and triangle stuff that looks right, but that leaves the question unanswered: what's all the other stuff? ah well....

Isaac P(Posted 2004) [#28]
http://www.frecle.net/giles/glsspecs.htm

Filax(Posted 2004) [#29]
Buy Gile(s) !!!!!

I love you fredborg ... and thanks you for this great software.

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#30]
ah. hehe. Yeah. Gile[s] is a fantastic tool, but I don't have any need for it at the moment. The price is a bit high for me... I probably don't even need trees, so this is mainly just an experiment with monkeying around in files.

If you don't want me to make a converter, fredborg, I won't.

Those specs are kinda interesting... Probably a nice system so that future formats will be comoatible.

podperson(Posted 2004) [#31]
It would be cool if owning Gile[s] enabled .b3d tree export in Tree[d] -- I think that is Skitchy's argument :)