Best 3D gui

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Best 3D gui

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#1]
Ok, I'm lazy and can't be bothered reviewing past posts, but there's a sale in this question - what's the best/fastest/most flexible Blitz 3D GUI system available for purchase (or for free)?

Requirements - customisable dialog boxes for a front end menu (font, colour, odd shaped border/window styles - so that it doesn't look like a windows feature). Checkboxes, file selection, ok/cancel, slider bars.

But also for displaying in-game text messages (particularly cutscene speech 'subtitles') within a limited screen area, left aligned, wrapped (auto/intelligently?), with a small picture to the left of the text area.

Thanks

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#2]
..and is bug free and well documented I should add

Yappy(Posted 2004) [#3]
hmmm .... not XLnt ii i'm afraid to say.

haven't had much experience with the competition but i would say that if u want a game-only UI then my best advice is to make ur own.

(although XLnt ii is great, bug free(ish), and very well documented)

Bremer(Posted 2004) [#4]
This might work for you:

http://www.blitzcoder.com/cgi-bin/showcase/showcase_showentry.pl?id=jeppe__nielsen02172003170845&comments=no

wmaass(Posted 2004) [#5]
swifft's can do some of what you want.

sswift(Posted 2004) [#6]
My GUI system is designed for those kinds of basic game interfaces lots of games need, and it's designed to be fully configurable. But as such it does not come with stuff like "buttons" "checkboxes" or "sliders" built in. It does provide functions to tell you when the mouse has moved into, out of, or clicked on a particular gui object though. With that you can create a checkbox, button, or slider with just a few lines of code. And if you want to make the object glow while you're clicking it, you can, thanks to the free anibrush library included, and the fact that it DOESN'T force you to use built in buttons. And if you want to make the menu items fly onto the screen in a fancy way, slow down and stop, all you need is one command with the also free FLUX system to do it.

Game interfaces should be fun, not look like windows. :-)

Oh and the system comes with a bitmap font system that can wrap text, and do left/right justification on single lines of text. It won't clip it to a window though. I suppose in theory one could modify the font routine to do that, but you'd have to be willing to get your hands a little dirty. The code is fully commented, uses descriptive variable names, and is very neatly formatted.