gile[s] 1.26 is out!

Community Forums/Developer Stations/gile[s] 1.26 is out!

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi,

Just a quick note to let you know that gile[s] version 1.26 is out. It has a lot of smaller bug fixes (including one which caused ALE terrains to be messed up), and:

Create Plugin System

Which allows you to write your own plugins to create models, materials, and/or textures. Check out the SDK folder in the installation for more information about writing your own plugins. The installation comes with a Create Cube, Cylinder, and Plane plugin!

And we've got a brand new forum as well, so come on over and join the fun!

Get it from the sig!

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#2]
Cool! :)

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#3]
Here is a free FONText plugin (to place text in your scenes) for all gile[s] users:
http://www.zen28085.zen.co.uk/FONTex_plugin.zip

Enjoy!

Caff(Posted 2004) [#4]
Ohh nice, ta Fredborg + Meaker

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#5]
To avoid confusion:

Here's how to get an ALE landscape to work in gile[s]!

1: Load your landscape
2: Delete the model 'Land_7'
3: Delete the material 'Brush7'
4: Open the 'Lighting Methods' window
5: Set the 'Default lightmap' to use 'Flat Packing' and disable 'Average polygon normal'.
6: For 'Brush2' through 'Brush6' disable 'Cast Shadows' and 'Affect Global Illumination'
7: Use 'Recalculate Normals' from the 'Tools' menu.
8: Add your lights and other objects. For example some nifty FONText slogan :)
9: Render.

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#6]
Also, select brush1, then click the 'Texture Layers->0' button. Here you can set the blend type for each layer (mod 2, multiply, etc.). Alter to taste :)

Dirk Krause(Posted 2004) [#7]
What's ALE?
[EDIT]
oops, I just found out :-).

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#8]
Great,

btw I tried email you Fredborg and the email was returned because of a max message issue.

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#9]
Oh, I'll look into it!

Smokey(Posted 2004) [#10]
It's work perfectly for me and be able to paint to the texture directly is pretty cool :)

by the way, I should't post here about gile but after exporting the terrain of ALE from gile and load it in blitz the texture appear to be bright compared to the result in gile ? I can decrese the light value in gile.

Filax(Posted 2004) [#11]
Thanks for this release freborg !

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#12]
Hi,

I've made a simple terrain generation plugin :)

Get it here: http://www.frecle.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#13]
by the way, I should't post here about gile but after exporting the terrain of ALE from gile and load it in blitz the texture appear to be bright compared to the result in gile ? I can decrese the light value in gile.

See my post above :)

Dirk Krause(Posted 2004) [#14]
This is interesting - Fredborg, do you have a roadmap to what Gile[s] is about to become? Right now it makes a move from an outstanding lightmapper (and a pretty good format converter, too!) to a level editor?

Regards,
Dirk

Filax(Posted 2004) [#15]
Great !!!

Wiebo(Posted 2004) [#16]
I would like to know more about Gle[s]'s future as well. I'm becoming more and more interested...

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#17]
Fredborg, do you have a roadmap to what Gile[s] is about to become?
No idea :)

A Modify and Import plugin system, are next on the list. Apart from that there are a lot of minor tweaks and fixes, that will happen sometime in the future.

Additionally, some simple mesh editing is on the list, but it will not go down to vertex level.

What happens from there is anyones guess!

xmlspy(Posted 2004) [#18]

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#19]
Almost any plugin is possible, so I guess you could do something that works like ALE, although I think you would be better off using that.

It's a homegrown GUI made specifically for gile[s].