lowpolymodelling: tris or quads?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/lowpolymodelling: tris or quads?

hed(Posted 2004) [#1]
hi everybody,

since i'm new to blitz and new in lowpoly-modelling this question sounds a bit noobish - sorry for that...

is it better to use quads in lowpoly-models or should i better avoid them and use only triangles to form the shape of a character?

i mean ok in a sense of: display problems / speed...

thanks,
hed

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#2]
A quad is 2 triangles. Makes no difference.

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#3]
3D card can only eat triangles; if you model your models using "quads" it will be converted to tris in the end (when Blitz sends the stuff to the GPU). So if you have 1000-quad model, you actually have 2000-triangle model there :)

c5ven(Posted 2004) [#4]
i understand question. alot of people use quads. it is faster. but i don't leave it quads. i start with quads. then i start splitting. helps me to figure out problems with bad mesh deformation. can get slow at the end, but i think the model quality improves.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#5]
The decision is no decision really, since choosing to use quads when modeling will still result in a triangulated model in Blitz. I tend to use quads because the mesh stays cleaner and easier to work with, but ultimately it makes no difference so don't sweat it.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#6]
So long as you keep your mesh fairly well ordered so the lighting looks nice on it.

Tangent(Posted 2004) [#7]
It's been mentioned, but one of your steps in modeling should be to convert it from quads to tris to make sure your edges are turned properly.
3d games are all tri's.

hed(Posted 2004) [#8]
thanks @all,

this was exactly what i wanted to know...

in order to keep my meshes clean and organized i normally combine both tris and quads - like joe...

but its good to know that a 3d-card only eats tris ;)

nice day,
hed