Maptile3D DEMO

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Maptile3D DEMO

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#1]
ok got a demo going. Doesnt have all the features that are planned for it yet, but its working well enough to show it to you. No water placement yet.. just a water plane. Water quad placement comming soon.

Some shots.

and the demo
www.brianedey.com/demos/maptiledemo.zip (4.52 mb download)

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#2]
The help file will be online and ready for download in a day, please check our web site for more information, forums and links.

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#3]
In case you missed my last posting on this.

Maptile is a terrain editor, but different in design than most.. Fist it's a MESH terrain editor/creator for Blitz.

You get complete control over the terrain. If you want a cliff, or a smooth hill its very east to do. You also get to use a custom tile set and paint your tiles onto the terrain, wich mean you dont have to streatch a single texture over your terrain..

some features are.

*Blitztree ready, you just need the blitztree include and
blitztrees themselves.. but not needed to use maptile.

*2D editor to simplify the process, height infomration displayed in 2D as well. 3D preview your map at any time.

*Preview any tree or 3d model before you drop it in your scene.

* Ultimate control over terrain height.. down to the quad level

*drop 3d models, trees, or custom datatypes anywhere on the terrain

*datatypes can be parsed at loadtime to handle any cusomt map information you can think of.

*Cut and copy one portion of the terrain and paste to another. you can choose what levels to copy.. objects, tiles, height information, datatypes, blitztrees.. Some or all.. copy just what you need

*Tile paint on a per quad level, 2 layers 1 foundation, and one overlay possible.

*Exports to custom dat so you wont expose hightmap or terrain model to users. Imports as a single mesh 1 surface per layer.

*choose from 32x32, 64x64, 96x96, 128x128 tile terrains.
importing max of 64k verts 2 surfaces for a large 2 layer map. Single layer large map is only 32k verts

*Import heightmap if you like.

*drop waterfalls and/or rivers onto the scene, included Update_map() function will smoothly animate the waterfalls.

*single include to load your maps. mapmesh=load_tileterrain(filename$) thats it.

*Custom 3D model groupings will let yo spray paint a group of models with selected pitch/yaw/roll/scale offsets to reduce manotany of foilage/rock placement

*select any portion of map information to be displayed or worked with .. from dropped models, tiles, height information, datapoints, blitztrees, and more.. so no matter how cluttered your working area may get, you can see only what you want to work with at any given time.

*many heightmap modifiers..

*Autopainting tiles.. if you use the template we supply to make your own tiles the software will automatically alighn the preer sides and corners to the tiles you lay down..
meaning you can drag dirt tiles though grass, and it will put the grass / dirt transition borders around your path for you. no tedious tile placement.

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#4]
The tile selection is very confusing. It's not obvious which tile is the one you should pick for it to automatically draw around where you paint.

The height editing is really tricky as you don't get any feedback, ie. can't see how high a point is.

The window layout isn't very good, and why is there no title bar, etc? You cannot move it around or expand it as far as I can tell.

I gave up after 5 minutes, and only tried the painting and height editing. So I cannot comment on the other features.

The tiles are great looking, but it's very confusing to use the editor.

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#5]
The height editing is really tricky as you don't get any feedback, ie. can't see how high a point is

not true.. perhaps you could give it more than 5 minutes.. also fale is working on a help file for it all.

The height infomation is displayed as greyscale overlay on top of the map.. if you have a hard time seeing this you can check the box marked HIDE TILES and the height information becomes very clear. You can hide/show all data types.

The window layout isn't very good, and why is there no title bar, etc? You cannot move it around or expand it as far as I can tell.

well this is demo and im expecting some feedback like this.. in fact its very welcome.. could you tell me what about the layout just doenst work.. i found it easy to work with myself .. perhaps just because i made it.
You can scroll the map area with arrow keys or sliders so the visible working area i thought would be enough.. more info please :)

The tile selection is done with SELECT TILE.. you can select primary TILES. What tile can be drawn on what is dependant on how someone may create thie tile pack. You can browse the tiles with the slider on the bottom to see how tehy may work together before painting.. or load the tiles in a paint program to see them all at once.

You can also select via buttons wich layer you are workign on .. Layer 2 is the over lay layer.. and Primary tiles 14 and above are for this layer as they have solid black background instead of preblended to another tile type.

Tile creation and format will be better expalined in the help file.

Thanks for the feedback so far. Ill use it. please keep it comming

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#6]
Basic help file can be reached from the Forums and main web page at Make it Games! or here Help!!

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#7]
We have updated the demo you can download it at the same link above or www.brianedey.com/demos/maptiledemo.zip

If you have downloaded the demo you can download the exe update zip file at www.brianedey.com/demos/maptiledemoexe.zip

Also check out the help section, a new tutorial will be up in the next hour. Ill post an update then.

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#8]
Tutorial is up on our Help Section for MapTile 3D

http://www.makeitgames.com/maptile3dhelp/index.html

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#9]
The new update includes movable windows, nothing is docked anymore.

JohnMil(Posted 2004) [#10]
*squint* Looks like Warcraft III textures...

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#11]
We did use the Warcraft 3 textures to make our test levels, as we were waiting for our own textures to be finished. In such a hurry to get the test demo out, we didnt switch. Those will be up tonight. In the demo zip and for download.

Thanks John Mil. I know we need to confirm before we upload next time.

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2004) [#12]
Well, Rifraf, skictchy just realeased his ALE editor just a few hours ago. Obviously, you're going to say that your Maptile is better than his ALE, and he is going to say that his ALE is better than your Maptile. You're both pricing your product at about the same price. How does your product and his product differ?

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#13]
Well, first let me correct you. :) IM not saying maptile is better than ALE. In fact I believe that the style of terrain you want determines which would be better for you if either. They differ because he is using splatter blending via alpha channels, and I am using 2 layers of tiles. Tiles will look crisp and detailed even up close and you can have things like roads, crops, mountains, grass, marble, wood. ect with the exact kind of blending that you want because the blends are premade with the tile pack you use.

Another difference as that you primarily edit maptile maps in a 2d editor. Placing the tiles down. adding heightmap information ect. Maptile also lets you drop 3d objects rotate them scale them ect and saves that information right into the TLM file. so its pretty much your terrain editor and object placer all in one.

It also allows for custom data to be dropped in, in the form of datapoints. for example you want a monster to spawn somewhere.. the you can drop a datapoint and call it.. lets say MONSTERSPAWN and give it and values you want your game to use.. like 10,10,5 then there is a parser built into maptile3d that you can easily use to check for datapoint names and act on the values assigned to them.

Maptile3D is also blitztree ready , you can drop any blitztree in the map in the 2d editor, and if you have the blitztree include and blitztrees themselves then the editor will place them in your map automatically where you want them.

Another neat thing about maptile is you can select any region of your map with the rectangle selector box, and copy it. Then paste it somewhere else. you can copy all things or just a few things. Like only the height data, only the objects, or trees. or you can copy all the data and paste is somewhere... so repeating terrain or objects exactly is very easy.

IM sorry maptile is taking so long a much improved demo will be out soon to address some of the user friendly issues of maptile3d, along with full version release.

Many features I haven't mentioned will be in the new demo.

Kissme(Posted 2004) [#14]
Hi RifRaf,

When your great tool will be ok for buying ? :)

Kiss.

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#15]
Soon kisskool, im just adding some key shortcuts and things to make it easier to use. Im also packing for a big move across country so thats slowing me down some :) thank you for the interest.

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#16]
Some new screens of the ever expanding functionality of MapTile 3D.

We added one layer Alpha Splattering to our tool. Each layer can handle 256 textures, as well as the tile layer which can handle 256 textures. You can create some spectacular landscapes.

This is the first of many expansions planned for it.

In the next couple of weeks you will see a few more small and large updates to MapTile3D, as we prepare for release. We want to make sure our users get the best value for their money.

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#17]
Ill post some more revealing shots.. i took those shots above right after finishing the splatter layer code.. Ill show some detailed tile layer + splatter layer shots soon. hopefully tomorrow..

Kissme(Posted 2004) [#18]
Woot :) I can't stay for buy it's :) Keep it's up !

Kiss.

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#19]
another shot here.. shows some blending and some tiling together.. just showing that you can use both. its not supposed to be beutiful I whipped it up in like 5 seconds.. have to pack my computer soon :).

im makign move across country so I wont be working on maptile until i get settled in my new place.

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#20]
New demo will not be out until he settled. But there will be alot of new information out in the next few days.

Especially about MMO Crafter.

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#21]
Just a FYI, Makeitgames.com is no more, I took it down. I think Rif may sell MapTile3D on his own if you want it, I know four or five were interested.

If anyone talks to Rif let him know please, i havnt been able to get ahold of him for a while.

Magian(Posted 2004) [#22]
Still a way to get hold of the demo for this?

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#23]
If Rif sees this yes, if not no. I know hes working on a new website or someone is, but im not sure.

If his email is listed, you can try emailing.

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#24]
Maptile3d wont be for sale as a stand alone product anymore, but part of the mmo crafter package when its complete. Due to lack of interest in it as just a terrain edtitor. However there are many great terrain editors to choose from already.