Maptile3D

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Maptile3D

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#1]
Maptile is a terrain editor, but different in design than most.. Fist it's a MESH terrain editor/creator for Blitz.

You get complete control over the terrain. If you want a cliff, or a smooth hill its very east to do. You also get to use a custom tile set and paint your tiles onto the terrain, wich mean you dont have to streatch a single texture over your terrain..

some features are.

*Blitztree ready, you just need the blitztree include and
blitztrees themselves.. but not needed to use maptile.

*2D editor to simplify the process, height infomration displayed in 2D as well. 3D preview your map at any time.

*Preview any tree or 3d model before you drop it in your scene.

* Ultimate control over terrain height.. down to the quad level

*drop 3d models, trees, or custom datatypes anywhere on the terrain

*datatypes can be parsed at loadtime to handle any cusomt map information you can think of.

*Cut and copy one portion of the terrain and paste to another. you can choose what levels to copy.. objects, tiles, height information, datatypes, blitztrees.. Some or all.. copy just what you need

*Tile paint on a per quad level, 2 layers 1 foundation, and one overlay possible.

*Exports to custom dat so you wont expose hightmap or terrain model to users. Imports as a single mesh 1 surface per layer.

*choose from 32x32, 64x64, 96x96, 128x128 tile terrains.
importing max of 64k verts 2 surfaces for a large 2 layer map. Single layer large map is only 32k verts

*Import heightmap if you like.

*drop waterfalls and/or rivers onto the scene, included Update_map() function will smoothly animate the waterfalls.

*single include to load your maps. mapmesh=load_tileterrain(filename$) thats it.

*Custom 3D model groupings will let yo spray paint a group of models with selected pitch/yaw/roll/scale offsets to reduce manotany of foilage/rock placement

*select any portion of map information to be displayed or worked with .. from dropped models, tiles, height information, datapoints, blitztrees, and more.. so no matter how cluttered your working area may get, you can see only what you want to work with at any given time.

*many heightmap modifiers..

*Autopainting tiles.. if you use the template we supply to make your own tiles the software will automatically alighn the preer sides and corners to the tiles you lay down..
meaning you can drag dirt tiles though grass, and it will put the grass / dirt transition borders around your path for you. no tedious tile placement.

here are just a few beta shots.. release around the corner.. keep an eye out for it at WWW.MAKEITGAMES.COM under products, and MAPTILE3D.

and a shot from within the editor

www.makeitgames.com

*(Posted 2004) [#2]
Looks good =)

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#3]
Looks good! Can each tile be sub-divided so the height can be modified for the center of the tile while maintaining the same size textures?

Ie. Can a texture tile span a 2x2 geometry tile?

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#4]
Currenty you cant subdivide, but you can already fit tiles evenly onto an area, and raise lower that area without shearing the top tiles.

also are you asking if you can stretch a tile image over a larger portion that just one quad?

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#5]
Yes, that's what I really wanted to ask :)

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#6]
No.. I didnt think of that as somthing people would want. perhaps i can throw that in.. would mean some smart UV adjusting. the alternative would be to create 4 tile that make up the large one you want to draw, and use that.. this way they would retain the same crip resolution as the rest of the tiles and wouldnt look out of place.

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#7]
What I think would be nice was to have every texture tile strecth across 2x2 or 4x4 geometry tiles, so that you can have fine height adjustments within a single texture tile.

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#8]
Ill see what i can do with that.. Any chance of getting a converter for your tree generator.. say to .x or somthing?

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#9]
Buy gile[s] or write a .gls file loader :)

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#10]
:) buy a lightmapper to get a tree? ill have to go with the second. when i do need a lightmapper.. i will definatly get giles