the tools I have and cant do the things i need.

Community Forums/Developer Stations/the tools I have and cant do the things i need.

GameCoder(Posted 2004) [#1]
I have 3ds max6 - ultimate unwrap - gile[s]. I made a level in 3ds max but when I unwrap it its to difficult to map from with in ultimate unwrap. Im not even at the stage for lightmapping.

Basically should I drop Ultimate unwrap and do it all from within max? Also i model the whole level first, attach it all together, weld the model, then import in to unwrap for texturing. Is this the wrong way to do things?

Should I model bit by bit and texture bit by bit or is the way Im going about it now correct?

The level I have is massive with spirals, spheres, stairs, arcs and what not. When I try to unwrap this its a fandango like no other.

I am a complete noob to 3D and it has not even begun to click in my head. Any hints or tips using the tools I have on the best way to do things would be appreciated.

please :)

thank you

Rimmsy(Posted 2004) [#2]
If you have max 6 then you absolutely can't be without Pipeline: http://www.onigirl.com/pipeline/

Design a level in max.
Export it all as a b3d
Import into Gile[s]L
Lightmap.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#3]
Removed.

Xception(Posted 2004) [#4]
You are a complete noob in 3D modeling and have 3DS MAX 6?
Sounds suspicious!

Isaac P(Posted 2004) [#5]
Its not your job to be suspicous tho is it xception

GameCoder(Posted 2004) [#6]

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#7]
I have some third party sripts that allow you to texture levels easily.
The one I have now is uv tools by andy oakely. could n't do without it.
it allows you to copy and paste uv 's from one poly to another.+ you can rotate textures.

BTW max has great lightmapping also, you don't really need to use any 3rd party tools for this task

Hambone(Posted 2004) [#8]
This going to be harsh but ...

Amon,

You are the lowest form of scum. I hate pirates. You expect us folks, most of whom paid thousands of dollars for our software because people like you rip it off, to help you. Especially considering there are people here are doing this professionally and trying to make a living selling SW themselves.
Go buy a book on 3ds you loser, since you don't have manuals to read. Or better yet, go to the bookstore and steal a 3ds book. Or are you too affraid of being arrested? Strange, you are not so affraid to steal when sitting behind the keyboard in the privacy of your home.

You, and your brethern, make me utterly sick. I wouldn't cross the road to piss in your ear if your brain was on fire!

Now go someplace else you polluted ass.

Allan

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#9]
While I don't condone the personal attack, I agree with the sentiment of not helping. Hence removed my advice.

Isaac P(Posted 2004) [#10]
Hambone you are totally out of line. Even if he did pirate this software is not your job to launch personal attacks against him.

If you can afford this software of which you "paid thousands of dollars for" why can he not afford the same software?

He has ultimate unwrap and giles.. both of which i cannot see appealing to pirates to make available for download. So i would guess he bought these.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#11]
He specifically stated that he "paid 4 hours for it." In other words, pirated.

Ordinarily I don't pay much attention to who posted what before, but in Amon's case I'll make an exception. If you look in Off-topic, he's the guy who started a thread to spout off hate-mongering genocidal views. IMO, Amon deserves Hambone's attack.

ErikT(Posted 2004) [#12]
IMO, Amon deserves a permanent ban and plenty more. It's not the first time I've seen him express racist/genocidal opinions on this board.

Isaac P(Posted 2004) [#13]
Didnt read that til just now.. the guys a fruit ban him, not for piracy.. but for being a racist fruitloop.

Normal fruitloops are fine.. ask enay