gile[s] version 1.25!

Community Forums/Developer Stations/gile[s] version 1.25!

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi,

gile[s] version 1.25 has just been released! The big new thing is the beginning of a flexible plugin system that (over the next few updates) will allow you to write export, import, model creation, and modifier plugins that integrate seamlessly with gile[s].

For starters only the exporting plugin system is available, to make sure I got all the bits right!

Here is what's new in this version:
- Exporting plugin system
- Improved .x importer
- Improved support for 3ds importing
- Elusive rotation bug corrected

The installation includes an example exporter with full PureBasic source code, and a reference document that should explain how to write your own plugins. Both are located in the SDK folder!

If you have no clue what I'm on about, take a look here:
gile[s] - global illumination editor
Toolbox entry

Have fun!

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#2]
... you and Filax...

... where do you guys find the time to get all this stuff in :)

hey, THANKS for the continuing refinement of the product...

-- another more than satisfied customer

CopperCircle(Posted 2004) [#3]
Cool, when this is all working I`ll have to buy it.

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#4]
Very exciting new additions. Hope you are getting your other work done tho! :)

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#5]
I am :) It's progressing nicely! You will get the chance to see it when I've passed my exams!

JaviCervera(Posted 2004) [#6]
Damn! Can you stop working for a bit? When i finish downloading an update, a new one appears!

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#7]
Hey be thankfull for these updates... some people on others products has to wait for months for a single update! some times even maybe a year or so for an update! Some others like halo just don't bother with updates no more period!
That's why CShop4.1 doesn't have a importer for .X or .B3D file imports! But then again... Maybe he has better plans than to mess with CShop though?!? I don't really know? But I wish he would be more like Filax & Fredborg here, and write us some updates for CShop! That would be cool if he did! :)

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#8]
Dr. Who, you're always bringing up the lack of b3d import in CShop. It's pretty simple really: CShop is based on CSG style level editing, and the b3d file format isn't based on CSG. It's pretty fundamental incompatibility. This is why I avoid CSG level editors, because I can't bring in geometry modeled elsewhere for use in my level editing.

Sorry to hijack your thread Fredborg, but Dr. Who is really whining about that all the time.

Doggie(Posted 2004) [#9]
Yeah, but who doesn't know the feeling?
It really sucks when you want something
badly and never get it. Now, a hardcore Blitzer
would just say,"Then I'll do it myself!" (hint)
Beating Cshop at its' own game would no doubt heap rich rewards on the doer...(hint...again)

Ricky Smith(Posted 2004) [#10]
gile[s] just keeps getting better - can't keep postponing purchasing this for much longer !

CShop is based on CSG style level editing, and the b3d file format isn't based on CSG

Please expand - Both Maplet & Quill3d are CSG based -Quill3d imports/exports .b3d. Surely CSG is just a building technique - not a file format ?

Ice9(Posted 2004) [#11]
Sounds great Fredborg. Great job.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#12]
CSG is not simply a building technique, it is how the data is represented in memory. Rather than storing vertices and triangles directly, a CSG level editing tool is keeping track of solid blocks (often referred to as "brushes") which are pieced together to build the level. In a sense (ie. I'm REALLY simplifying) CSG file formats are rembering the steps to get to the final mesh, while b3d is the final mesh. Exporting to b3d is no big deal, but I'm curious about Quill3D importing b3d. I can't test it first hand so I can't be sure, but I imagine imported b3d models are treated differently than CSG geometry created within Quill.

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#13]
Quill attempts to convert the mesh to brushes. This can have unexpected and undesirable results and is mostly inefficient.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2004) [#14]
Well thinking about it you are correct - Quill3d uses its own file format to save/reload levels. The finished level can be exported as a .b3d but you can't import a .b3d as a 'level'.

Dirk Krause(Posted 2004) [#15]
@fredborg: great! after buying Gile[s] now I have to buy PureBasic, too! (just kidding) Great news!

@Red O.: I second that!

@smiff: you are right.

@jhocking: I think you are wrong. But I wonder if maplet saves CSG style, but noone knows (well, Mark knows, but won't tell me).

@ doc who: I know what you are feeling, but halo just won't do it, no matter how much complaints.

@all: Maplet uses CSG style mapping, and it works. But it save polygons in the end.

@all2: I bought Gile[s] and TerraEd and it's worth it.

Regards,
Dirk

Filax(Posted 2004) [#16]
Hi Dirk :) alway happy about terraed ?

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#17]
@jhocking

Dr. Who, you're always bringing up the lack of b3d import in CShop. It's pretty simple really: CShop is based on CSG style level editing, and the b3d file format isn't based on CSG. It's pretty fundamental incompatibility. This is why I avoid CSG level editors, because I can't bring in geometry modeled elsewhere for use in my level editing.

Sorry to hijack your thread Fredborg, but Dr. Who is really whining about that all the time.

Whining huh? Well... If someone makes a product and says you can use .X, .B3D, .3ds in their product in this case.. CShop!! Then the customer is going to expect just that! And if the product can't do what the creator claims it can and all... Then i think the customer, Or CShop customers have a perfect right to complain here then! I build & repair PC's on the side for extra income. If I build a product and tell a potential customer that it can do this & that and it don't!!! Then that customer has a perfect right to complain to me about the product! Plus anyways... This really isn't nothing new either!! Anywhere you go, No matter where it might be and all... You will find these same exact expectations from anybody!!! What would you do if you bought Fredborg's product and it didn't live up to what he claims it would do? You would be just as upset about it as well, Exspecially knowen that you laid down a hefty $50.00 for his product!!! Anybody would be like this joe!!! However though... Fredborg's product not only lives up to it's name, But he delivers excellect service too! That in itself will only cause the product to become even more popular than it already is! And as a special note to the Whining part here... If you go over to the Gamecreators website in the CShop forum, You will find alot of other people that where whining too! Not just me! Plus there were alot on the Blitz forums as well!
so don't put all of this off on me alone! Im' just persistant. That's All!!!

And plus anyways! Why did josh say on his forum that it's possibly then to import .b3d into Cshop? He said that's why he written CShop to allow others to write plug-ins into CShop for just such a purpose as this! So that also answers your other comment doesn't it!! ;)

@Doggie

Yeah, but who doesn't know the feeling?
It really sucks when you want something
badly and never get it. Now, a hardcore Blitzer
would just say,"Then I'll do it myself!" (hint)
Beating Cshop at its' own game would no doubt heap rich rewards on the doer...(hint...again)

Yeah I agree with you on that! But Im' not that great at developing plugins, Or I would of done it already!
Believe me guys, If I could write plugins for CShop, I would of done so already! Plus you can be a HardCode Blitzer without writing plugins for another application!
I'll be the first one to admit that im' not as experienced as most of you guys on here! That's why Im' always willing to listen & learn from someone that knows more than I do! ;)
But the good thing is... I do learn! And I will advance too! ;) Everything always comes in the natural course of time!

P.S. Almost forgot to mention this too! Josh did correct
the problems with his prefab converter for CShop to!
This allow a CShop user to convert their
.X,.b3d,3ds models into the .csm CShop format
to allow the converted model to be imported
into Cshop!

You can read about it here!

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#18]
Dr. Who, I think you missed my point. There is nothing wrong with getting on a software author about their software, but you bring it up every time you post anywhere regardless of what the thread is about. For example, in this thread Fredborg started to announce another update to gile[s].

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#19]
I was just complimenting him on his excellent services and such! And at the time and all... I couldn't understand why it seemed like josh was ignoring his customers?!? However though, He corrected the problems and all, And showed that he was actually listening to his customers complaints! And yes I did bring it up quite often because I fealt that someone had to keep this alive so that it would of gotten his attention! And I don't know if my persistance was what got it completed or not? But Im' glad to see that it did get completed though! So sorry if I mis-understood you there! But as a customer and all... I believed I had a perfectly good right to complain about this situation as well as any other CShop customer had the right like wise!