A little help with Maya...

Community Forums/Developer Stations/A little help with Maya...

Valgar(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi.
I think it's the right forum to ask this....
I have downloaded the personal learning edition of maya.
I have little difficul in using it because i think that have a greath interface.
But when it came to texturing or applying a material to my model......
I have understand how to apply texture and material to object,but don't know how to apply material and textures to single component of a object.
Example: starting from a cube ,extruding ecc ecc i have a model of an airplane....now if i want to change only the material of the fly....don't know how!
If i select the poligon and change the material...i see all the object change its material!
Can someone help me to resolve this?
Great tool indeed.

Valgar(Posted 2004) [#2]
I think i have discovered the function "hypershade" under window rendering editor....
There's a "assign material to selection" tab.
Argh.....some options are a little too hidden @_@'

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#3]
The right way to assign materials is using "Assign material to selection." The fast way to access that is to right-click on the material in the hypershade editor. So select your object or polygons or whatever in one of the mesh views, right-click on the material in the hypershade window, and select "assign material to selection" from the popup menu.

I'm rather curious how you were changing materials without using the hypershade editor; your second post makes reference to discovering the hypershade window. The hypershade window is analogous to, say, the Materials Editor in 3D Studio Max.

Valgar(Posted 2004) [#4]
Hemm.....i right click on the object and select material - material attributes....
Hemm....yesterday evening i think that i have used a hotkey and something appened :P
But now i have discovered the hypershade editor....
Now that i have your attention (excuse for the bad translation...) and because i have read that you are an expert with maya....do you know if maya have similar editor to unwrap the model so i can paint a texture that correspond with the geometry of the model?
Something similar to what 3d studio does....or i have to use other method?
If yes,what's the best way to paint a precise texture on an abject?
For static image i think that assign a material to every different selection is ok,but for game model i think it's best to use a single mesh and apply a texture that cover the entire model.
Thanks in advance(i'm a complete incompetent with maya...).

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#5]
Assigning texture coodinates in Maya is very similar to doing so in 3D Studio Max. The most important tools to know are the UV Texture Editor in the Windows menu, and the Texture menu at the top of the Edit Polygons menu. You use selections under the Texture menu to assign mapping coordinates, and you tweak texture mapping in the UV editor window.

Long story short, select a bunch of polygons in a 3D view, use Edit Polygons->Texture->Planar Mapping to assign a mapping to those polygons, switch to UV selection mode and tweak the mapping in the UV editor. Essentially the same workflow as in 3D Studio Max, but obviously with different names for all the tools.

"i have read that you are an expert with maya"

Where'd you read that? I am of course ;) I just wonder where you read it.

Valgar(Posted 2004) [#6]
Because you are writing a maya exporter....and after seeing many of your post i have assumed (i hope i translate right) that you are.
And i have visited your site. :)

Valgar(Posted 2004) [#7]
Excuse me...a simple answer.
I don't see any option to duplicate an oject in mirrored mode...is there a tool like the one in every apps that let you create mirrored copy of the object?
I haven't see anything like this in maya...

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#8]
You can mirror an object by giving it a negative scale. In the channel box on the right side of the screen type in -1 for the object's scale. Which channel you set to -1 (ie. scale x, y, or z) determines the axis the object will be mirrored around.

Valgar(Posted 2004) [#9]
Thanks a lot.
Another thing that i have noticed:if i want to edit a group of point (example:move that group at left of one grid unit...)if i select a group of point (with the shift key)and activate the grid snap...if i try to move the group all the points collapse in the same grid snap!
There's a possibility to move a group but without collapse it?

Valgar(Posted 2004) [#10]
Hemm...(sorry for bothering you...)
Is there a possibility to save the windows layout,the rendering settings ecc ecc so that Maya load those setting as a default?
I've tried "save settings" but if i open Maya it opens IT'S default,not mine :P

Valgar(Posted 2004) [#11]
I think i have individuated the panel:
windows--->settings preference--->preference
But i think i have a bug (or maybe it's a feature of the program?)
If i set the "nurbs display settings for new object" and set the "surface divisions" to..example 16 and click save.
All goes ok until i quit maya.
If i reopen maya and try to create another nurbs.....the surface divisions is something like 0!!!
But in the setting windows is displayed 16!
If i reclick save....and recreate the nurbs all ok.
But if i quit....

Valgar(Posted 2004) [#12]
I think it's a bug....if i set in windows settings preference preference the nurbs surface divisions to 64 (and the slider arrives at maximun 16!!! but accept 64 as numeric input....bug?) save...exit maya....reopen maya.....create nurbs.....the mesh si displayed but the surface division is ONLY vertical (y divisions).
Argh it's an annoying thing!