Lightbulb support

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Lightbulb support

Daz(Posted 2004) [#1]
All,

Does anybody happen to know if Lightbulb is still being supported by Binary People? I am sure there used to be a forum specifically for Lightbulb but there isn't anymore.

The version I have got is v1.10. Do you know if there is a more recent version than this?

Cheers.

Daz.

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#2]
Nothing personal here daz... But you should go with a much
better lightmapper like gile[s]..!!

Gile[s] has excellent support and it's a much better lightmapper than LightBulb anyways!! Go with gile[s]!!

You wont be sorry!!

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#3]
Here you go :
http://www.dyvision.co.uk/lb115.zip

Can I ask when you bought LB, because I haven't seen a penny from Binary People in ages. Also, if anybody else has bought it could you post here so that I know if I should have been paid.

Re gile[s] : just make sure you try the demo with the sort of models you are actually using in your game (not just a few boxes and a donut). I was going to get it myself until I saw the results :( Also, a preview render took 15 minutes on a top-spec PC.

I don't like knocking other peoples stuff generally, but I'm so sick of people kicking LB in the face when it does a perfectly good job, is cheap, and can be used for level design as well - time to retaliate.

LB might not have a flashy GUI, but it does more then most people realise and its easy to use.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#4]
Does Lightbulb use the new blend mode?

GfK(Posted 2004) [#5]
Can I ask when you bought LB, because I haven't seen a penny from Binary People in ages. Also, if anybody else has bought it could you post here so that I know if I should have been paid.
*bites own tongue*

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#6]
Yeah, be respectful to other peoples products please. Put's Fredborgs in an ackward position too.

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#7]
Hey, I think LightBulb is cool, and has great value for the asking price! I have never said otherwise!

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#8]
Skitchy - I recommend you take another look at gile[s]. Some of the early versions (and 1 or 2 earlier in the year) had some issues. Maybe you caught it in one of these times. It really is excellent stuff, just take a look at the screenshots on the website and forum.

Daz(Posted 2004) [#9]
@Skitchy - Thanks for the update. Sorry for delay in getting back to you. I bought lightbulb using my work email account so I could only check the purchase date now. I bought Lightbulb on 01/10/2003. I am sorry to hear that you haven't seen a penny in sales. That is not on.

@DoctorWho - I will look into getting Gile[s] at some point because I have heard nothing but good things about it but yesterday I purchased TerraEd, BlitzGrass, BlitzTree and Particle Candy so the software buying funds are a bit depleted this month!!

Rob(Posted 2004) [#10]
Sorry skitchy, but gile[s] is way nicer in every respect. It is actully BETTER than 3d studio max's lighting and mapping.

It's incredibly quick for what you get. You cannot beat the art path from max either. I wasn't bitchy when pudding's plugin came out. In fact I fired off an email to mark saying to take mine down and put his up because it's that much better.

Times move on, be graceful and accept defeat :) Lightbulb is a lovely product but it's had it's day. If I were you I'd just find another product to make.

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#11]
@Skitchy

Re gile[s] : just make sure you try the demo with the sort of models you are actually using in your game (not just a few boxes and a donut). I was going to get it myself until I saw the results :( Also, a preview render took 15 minutes on a top-spec PC.

I tried my own models & others in gile[s] and they worked perfectly fine in every aspect!! I wasn't just using a few boxes and a donut as you so put it!
And the results from gile[s] in nothing short of Amazing!!!
I have a top-spec PC as well... And my renders only take a matter of a few seconds to a minute or two!

Skitchy... I would seriously advise you to download the most recent version of gile[s] and do a re-evaluation of it again as I think you might of missed alot!!!

I don't like knocking other peoples stuff generally, but I'm so sick of people kicking LB in the face when it does a perfectly good job, is cheap, and can be used for level design as well - time to retaliate.

Well... I wasn't intentionaly meaning to knock your software man! But I was just merly giving a suggestion to a fellow developer of the excellent quality that gile[s] produces! I downloaded your LightBulb lightmapper and tryied it out. It does a fairly decent job on lightmapping as well... But when I tried gile[s] out, Im' sorry to say to you!! It's far more advanced than LightBulb, And you get more professional results with it!! Like Rob said just a moment ago... Gile[s] lightmapping capabilities is even far better than that of 3D Studio Max!!! It's a tough product to beat!! Fredborg has done his homework very dam well and has produced a masterpiece!!!

LB might not have a flashy GUI, but it does more then most people realise and its easy to use.

LightBulb is fine the way it is... And yes it's easy to use as well! And it's fine for what it is capable of. But instead of saying "time to retaliate", Why not put your excellent skill's to work and make a LightBulb 2 ? Your obviously an excellent coder or you wouldn't of turned out a very nice product like LightBulb. So.... Why not start on a newer Light mapper and let's see how interesting it can actually get?!? So what do you think?
I think it's a good idea!!

@Daz

I will look into getting Gile[s] at some point because I have heard nothing but good things about it but yesterday I purchased TerraEd, BlitzGrass, BlitzTree and Particle Candy so the software buying funds are a bit depleted this month!!

Wow man!! Sounds like you cranked up on the tool's huh?
You should be able to turn out some nice stuff with all of that! But in all due respects to Skitchy above in all, I still recommend gile[s] very much so! But don't take my word for it. download the trial and see for yourself! You wont be disappointed!!!

@Rob

Times move on, be graceful and accept defeat :) Lightbulb is a lovely product but it's had it's day. If I were you I'd just find another product to make.

Well... I probably would of worded it a little different than that, But Skitchy can always improve on LightBulb... Or make a LightBulb 2 instead! I personaly thank Skitchy for creating such a fine product to add to our community to help all of us out in our on projects. Skitchy, I encourage you to improve on LightBulb or make a possibly LightBulb 2 in comparison to that of giles[s]. I wish you all the best!

JaviCervera(Posted 2004) [#12]
Well, LightBulb costs $31.50 Gile[s] $39.95, so the difference is not that big. And, doesn't LightBulb use the YAL lightmapper?

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#13]
@Jedive

Well, LightBulb costs $31.50 Gile[s] $39.95, so the difference is not that big. And, doesn't LightBulb use the YAL lightmapper?

Actually!! Gile[s] cost $51.85 in US dollars. You must be looking at the english pound amount: &39.95

You might want to check it again, because that's what I paid for it from my credit card.

joncom2000(Posted 2004) [#14]
Gile[s] is actually $50.07 US. 39.95 Euro's and £27.93 Sterling. (Taken from Share*it)

Which is a very good price for what it can do. It's highly respected even in the DB community, so much so that TGC have done a deal to sell it on there site as well ;)

JaviCervera(Posted 2004) [#15]
Sorry i meant € on both cases. I have gile[s] and really LOVE it, but i think we should not turn this into a gile[s] vs. LightBulb discussion. I posted that before because of what Skitchy said, but talking about gile[s] is not the purpose of this topic.

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#16]
No it really isn't, But I did suggest gile[s] due to it's a fantastic product and also to because it also has great support as well! That's why I suggested it in the first place.