Good freeware tools??

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Good freeware tools??

Reborn(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hey there!

I'm just a hobby programmer and I have been searching for a whole time finding the right tools to use. Because I don't want to earn money with my games and because I do it just for fun, I don't even want to pay for a map editor, a modeler, a lightmapper etc. ...(Blitz3D was already expensive for me as a pupilm eh? :)
So does anybody know good freeware stuff for creating games? I already found a good modeler, but what about a level editor, a lightmapper, etc.? Well, there's maplet, but it's quite limited. I like it, because it's easy to use. A Problem is that you can't really create outdoor scenes. I tried to create a box and carve the walls from it, but then the box disappears. And what about the Quake and Unreal editors? I think they don't support *.b3d and I've heard that *.bsp doesn't support bump mapping...

Can anybody help me out? Even a link to a similar thread or something would help...

(remember: hobby, no money ^^)

Reborn

GfK(Posted 2004) [#2]
Try here.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#3]
Or click on the toolbox link

Reborn(Posted 2004) [#4]
Ah, thanks for the link, GfK! I have already looked in the toolbox: 3DModelers are DeleD (too limited so far, I think; no lightmapping and less fileformats), gameSpace (not free) and TreeMagik (not free; only for trees ^^). Mapeditors are Maplet (too limited) and Cartography Shop (not free). LIghtmappers are gile[s] (not free) and ligtbulb (not free, too).

:(

So I think there are enough modelers, but what about map editors? Is it possible to create full levels in modelers? I think so, but does it make sense? I mean what about collision and lightmapping?

mrtricks(Posted 2004) [#5]
If you're after a terrain editor you could try mine, Total Terrain (click my sig).

Reborn(Posted 2004) [#6]
Hey, thx! I think after long searching I got what I need at least. But I'll try your editor... thx!

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#7]
Check out my forest sample in the code archives.It's a free alternative for fast outdoor vegetation. The maketree function uses only one texture in the demo, but the function takes a texturehandle as a parameter, so you can use a variation of plants as well. It also includes a single surface grass system.

Sometimes I find it a bit disappointing that everyone is trying to sell YET ANOTHER BLITZTOOL YOU DEFINITIVELY NEED. But hey - in the code archives are lots of candies that will allow you to make your own perfect tools (eg. lightmapping: "YAL"), or for CSG check Markus Rauchs CSG Editor - etc etc etc.

One Freeware tool I hardy recommend is LithUnwrap 1.3. It's the last free version, and of course its commercial sequel "UltimateUnwrap3D" is better, but LithUnwrap is still very useful.

In short we will have an Animation tool named "Pacemaker" for Characters and so on that comes with a free light version. Check this discussion:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=33087
This will be the first freeware Animation tool ever! (byside one very old md2 editor) Try the demo of Pacemaker, it's great.

Then there's wings3d and many other 3D modellers. Visit www.3dlinks.com , but take some time, lots of links.

Check out the Project Plasma Thread in the 3D Forum Region, I have released a simplyfied open source version of the placement editor i use for my Demos (see sig) that will allow to load and position stuff, such as buildings, furniture, items. Or have a look at Droplet, which is doing about the same and maybe has a better user interface (but isn't open source).

Reborn(Posted 2004) [#8]
Hehe, yeah. Thx! I already have Lithunwrap. It really rocks, even if I'm having some problems unwrapping a model of mine at the moment. :) Yeah, for modeling I got Milkshape3D at the moment and for map design I have maplet. Alone it is quite useless, but in combination with Decorator and Droplet/your app, I think it will be great.

And I really have to check the code archive...

Danke für die späte Antwort, norc. Bist du doch oder? *g* :)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#9]
ies - duiu schpiig inglisch? not rili :°)

Kuron(Posted 2004) [#10]
That animation program is nice, There is a great FREE 3D modeling program made by a Blitzer at:

http://www.jtgame.com/jtedit/

Crawdad(Posted 2004) [#11]
I am a Lightwave user and checked out Brice link at www.jtgame.com/jtedit. Very cool, has promise and priced to sell he he. Thanks Brice.