Blitz3d /3D GameStudio?

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Blitz3d /3D GameStudio?

PD(Posted 2004) [#1]
Can anyone who has used Blitz3D and 3D Game Studio say which they think is better and why. I am a total novice when it comes to creating games and would appreciate anyones experiance on the above.

Regards

PD

ErikT(Posted 2004) [#2]
They're different. One is an engine while the other's a programming language. 3DGS has got a built-in scripting language. The scripting allows you to do many things, but you'll soon hit the wall if you try anything else than 3D games, and then preferably FPS's. It's got it's own level editor(crap) and model editor(an insult). Overall, it's quite decent for making fps games quick and dirty, but it's got a high price tag and some real ugly licensing terms(gotta splash 'made with 3D gamestudio' all over your product etc). Okay for prototyping but not much else IMO.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#3]
I used to use 3D Gamestudio a lot. I was even involved with developing a fishing game which is being sold in Walmart (I was the animator on the project.) It was fairly easy to use but pretty limiting. If you want to hear reasons then look at old threads, in General Discussion especially, because this exact discussion/argument has raged many times before, but long story short I use Blitz3D now because I much prefer it.

PD(Posted 2004) [#4]
Thanks for your help Erik and Joe, I am trying to find out as much as I can about the right tools for the job but its often very difficult to make any decent decision as they all claim to do so much.

Cheers PD.

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#5]
I own the pro version of A6 (3DGS) and B3D and B+. 3DGS is great, the level editor is not good, the modeler is bad, but the scripting language is nice, and can push out some amazing things. Blitz is a great language and easy to use. I prefer B3D over A6 for two reasons.

1. Its easy and fun to use
2. The BB3D Community is nicer then A6, less jerks here then A6, they turn into flamers very fast, not all but alot.

Zmatrix(Posted 2004) [#6]
I have both a6(Com)& b3d
I would Say blitz also. :)
If you have nothing,,,no modelers ect. And are just starting. A6 may help you get your feet wet.
But, Wed is comparable to qoole which it was based on. it only does quake1 style geometry. So its pretty hard to get a level that doesnt look old (by todays standards).

Med inst all that usefull either, although i havent tried the bones support it now has.

The A6 engine, while it should be very fast. bsp/pvs and hardware t&l accel via dx8
doesnt deliver the speed it should. (it does render landscapes faster than a5 did) but bsp geometry seems slower than a5.

a month or so ago I would have said A6's lightmaps looked better, But now that blitz supports 2x modulation its no longer the Case.

scripting is pretty nice, Although better Docs would be usefull.(by the time they get the docs updated...the engine is updated and needs new docuentation)
This can be hard for a beginner who is trying to learn the avalible commands.

You could buy blitz3d,cshop and terraED for nearly the price of Commmercial a6.

But in the end its up to you. 3dgs certainly isnt the worst.

Look into other engines also. try thier demo's/trials and see which one suits you Best.

Zmatrix

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#7]
...and you would not have to worry about 1 second logos telling eveyone how you made your software!

I like A5, to a point, I have the commercial version but I can't see me upgrading to A6 at the moment. I agree with much of what has been said above.

Blitz 3d and the future?

With Light mapping through Gile[s], the excellent Tokamak physics, CShop level building, TerraEd for terrain, Character Shop and PaceMaker well on their way for animated characters, not to mention Milkshape and Ultimate Unwrap 3D Blitz 3D has a fantastic present never mind the future...

... but when BlitzMax finally launches there will be yet more reasons to buy into it deep - multiple platform distribution, OpenGL, low level access!

You're also going to have a shorter learning curve with B3d as A5 C script is awkward to say the least, although somethings are just a matter of how you approach them. On this community if you can't do it, someone will know how and advise you. It's a great place for that.

IPete2.

boomboom(Posted 2004) [#8]
if you want to spend more time learning, but actually learn something useful...then learn bb3d

BHoltzman(Posted 2004) [#9]
I think which one is better is really a matter of personal opinion. I like 3dGS better than BB3d. It's not that either one is really better than the other it's just I feel more comfortable with 3dGS. I like it's capabilities and I like what's already been done for you. You can use 3dGS for any type of project you want. The language currently doesn't support com programming but it will soon. An ANSI C version of c-script is already in the latest beta release for 3dGS. The number of features is growing very quickly in 3dGS. Every time there is a new beta released the number of new features takes me a long time to read through. Currently the beta page for 3dGS is around 26 pages long. The previous new features page that made it into the manual from version 6.2 is 40 pages long.

There really is a great deal of development for 3dGS. And each of the releases makes my job easier and the number of creative possibilities I have grow dramaticaly.

Ok. Enough rambling from me. The best thing you can do is to just check out the free demos from each of the development systems you're interested in. Also read the forums to see what issues people are having with the software, read up on what type of support is available for these systems. Also try to find comercial games that were developed with the studios you're interested in.

Good luck in choosing,

Ben