LightWave 3D

Community Forums/Developer Stations/LightWave 3D

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi All...

Who all is using lightwave 3D for their projects? I've just started using LightWave 3D and I have found it to be a very
awesome tool! I was amazed at how easy it was to manipulate
a mesh with it with it's powerful editing tools. Plus it's
so easy to understand as well... Not like some modeler's out there that cluster the applications interface with a
bunch of meaningless icons that aren't very discriptive &
helpful at all! And also, Can anybody that post to this topic please add some links where I might be able to go for some really easy tutorials on how to properly use lightwave 3D? Id' appreciate it very much so! Plus post some of your LightWave 3D screenshots here to see what was made with it if that's ok?! Thank's all!

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#2]
I use Lightwave at work and at home... what have I done with it? Check my website (link below) :)

Tutorials:

http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/index.html

Best place for plug-ins and such stuff:

http://www.flay.com/start.cfm

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#3]
i am using lightwave7.5 and terrabits converter
i havnt realy tried any other 3d software...apart from imagine... oh so long ago

btw..just got an email lw 8 has started shipping...not got mine yet

dvd training...but its not cheap
http://www.desktopimages.com/

i have searched the newtek tutorials and never found any help for game use..perhaps im not looking in the right place..

currently have a thread in user creations..download the zip file for a quick look
http://blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=33061

id ceratinly check out terrabits converter

QuietBloke(Posted 2004) [#4]
www.simplylightwave.com have some nice video tutorials. They have quite a few free ones for starters but if you like them the other ones can be bought at very reasonable prices.

Wiebo(Posted 2004) [#5]
I use LW as well... Though I haven't done a lot of 3d work lately... But this can change soon.

QuickSilva(Posted 2004) [#6]
I too use LightWave. I think that it is fantastic to use and very intuitive.

Jason.

Crawdad(Posted 2004) [#7]
You probably cannot tell by my work, but I have used Lightwave3d since 94 on my Amiga4000. It ruled then as it does now. Maybe its just close to my heart. The interface is simply eligant. At that time, the programs Modeler and Layout were written by two classmates from middle school. By the way, Lightwave, I read "disclaimed" is to date the only "off the shelf program" used entirely to create a full featured film "Jimmy Neutron".

CyberHeater(Posted 2004) [#8]
Wasn't all the Babylon 5 stuff done with Lightwave and on Amigas in the early days.

I used to use it a lot but stopped using it 5 years ago due to cleaning myself of all pirate apps etc...
Lightwave was the hardest to get rid off.

Still. One day I might pick up a cheap older version off ebay.

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#9]
Yup, B5 was LW and Amiga... "Amiga 2000 with a Video Toaster board in it, using LightWave 3-D and Modeler 3-D":

http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/making/thornton.html

QuickSilva(Posted 2004) [#10]
It seems that most of us LW users have come from the Amiga era.... ah those were the days.

Jason.

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#11]
i use lw now...but back in the amiga day i used imagine which was split into different editors similar to lw

if i had a heavy scene it took all night to render, now it takes minutes,thank god those days are gone,although i still boot up old angus now and again
btw has any of you guys got lw8 yet, im still waiting

Crawdad(Posted 2004) [#12]
I have not yet gotten a chance to use Lw8 but plan to purchase it with a hardware suite. For now, I am not completely clear on weather or not I need all of the hardware. By the way, if anyone needs an object renderd for a potential credit listing I am your guy. I suck at humans and animals for now but can damn near render any object from a photo.

TeraBit(Posted 2004) [#13]
I'm still waiting on LW8 too.. Cool program, wish I was better at using it really. ;)

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#14]
Time & practice will take care of that TeraBit. ;)

TeraBit(Posted 2004) [#15]
Yup, the time bit eludes me at the moment.

QuickSilva(Posted 2004) [#16]
How much is a LW upgrade from 7.5 to 8 just out if interest?

Jason.

Dustin(Posted 2004) [#17]
The upgrade from 7.5 (or any version of LW I believe) is $499

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#18]
i got the upgrade+dfx bundle, think it was around £400

i should have realy got another full pak of lw at £900
coz my son keeps hogging mine, hes fed up with the discovery version..but he wouldnt/couldnt pay half..(hes only 11..but i didnt think that was a good enough excuse)

smilertoo(Posted 2004) [#19]
I just cant get into LW modelor, as ive been telling scouse for a year, LW makes no sense.
I'll be ordering XSI4 on monday through the edu discount system (YAY).

QuickSilva(Posted 2004) [#20]
I second that.

Jason.

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#21]
i not realy used any other modelor...but lw modelor was very easy to get into.....its all the scary stuff in layout that bothers me

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#22]
Layout sucks a little if you need to do any serious character animation for example, but [8.0] makes some serious "should have been there in the first place" fixes in that department and it's better now. But since my work is mainly modeling, mapping and texturing, I don't have to fiddle with layout that much - basic animation tools for "let's make this go from here to there" are good enough. But I seriously doubt that you can find better low (>100.000) polygon modeler than lightwave modeler. It rocks.

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#23]
lw8 arrived, at first glance theres some definate changes to layout (more bone tools) and at last unlimited undos in layout...but colours scheme seems too dark (minor gripe)

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#24]
Yup, we have been using [8] for some time now... "IK booster" seems nice, really easy way to setup & animate characters. And I like the "hidden line view"... reduces clutter etc.

TeraBit(Posted 2004) [#25]
Still waiting for LW8... :|

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#26]
deeppaint 3d doesnt seem to load as a plugin...damn
got to wait for a fix..unless as usual its me

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#27]
hey lightwavers
just had this problem, it may be of use if anyone wants to access bones direct(tokamak thingy), i couldnt use findchild(mesh,bonename$)
error entity does not exist
spent all day asking questions and swearing loudly, finaly found that theres a space in front of bonename$ eg: bone=findchild(mesh,"(space)bonename$"...if any ones into animation or setting up collision points this might help

the blitz post
http://blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=34102

anyone with same prob may find this usefull
www.btinternet.com/~coloured.pixels/Mek.zip

terrabit dont know if this is a lightwave snagg or converter
if you look real close it shows the space in the txt file

Tangent(Posted 2004) [#28]
Tried it. Didn't like it all that much... but it was more for the reason that I was working with a programmer from newtek who would go on, and on, and on about lightwave in the most annoying accent. and whine, oh god he would whine.

Pretty much scarred me lw wise.