Cinema 4D

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Cinema 4D

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#1]
I just DL C4D demo, and love it, very easy to use, but was wondering is there any problems using it with BB3D?

I read there is a free learning edition out there, but cannot find it. Anyone know if its still avalible? or where its downloadable from?

c5ven(Posted 2004) [#2]
wow. they're giving away C4D? they go under? or is it older version? link?

ummm, why get the learning edition?

Edwin SI(Posted 2004) [#3]
There is a CE version...based on version 6 i believe.
It was given away on many magazines some time ago.
Maybe you can still backorder these.
I'm sure one was on Computer Arts, and Digit magazine.
(computerarts.co.uk and digitmag.co.uk)

Although it's an older version it's a very capable tool.

puki(Posted 2004) [#4]
Yeh, I have a couple of versions of the magazine cover disks - Including the full version of 'Cinemea 4D CE' (includes ever feature from 'XL6'), '3D World' gave that away as well as the full version of 'Realsoft 3D v4'.

c5ven(Posted 2004) [#5]
whoop. i see Falelorn edited the post to "C4D demo". explains the reason for getting the learning edition (thought maybe it had some cool interactive tutorials or something). i had hoped they made those older versions freely available online now that the mags have sold. bummer. well, maybe i'll come across a magazine CD with an old version one of these days. thanks anyways.

Ken Lynch(Posted 2004) [#6]
I just DL C4D demo, and love it, very easy to use, but was wondering is there any problems using it with BB3D?

The main problem I've found is that C4D doesn't save animations out to .3DS or .X files, so you will have to animate with something else if you need animation. The other is that, in my opinion, there are still a lot of polygon modelling operations missing - especially in the older CE version as you can only manipulate vertices and faces, not edges.

Despite that it is a very stable and easy to use piece of software and you can get some incredible results with it.

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#7]
mnn not saving animations is a problem, ill check to see if 8.5 exports now.

If not what is a good program (not Truespace *yuck* and Milkshape) that can do the models, animate, texture, scenes.

Xception(Posted 2004) [#8]
8.5 can export to fbx format with bones/animations.
fbx is an upcoming 3d interchange format, more and more 3d modelers support fbx.
If you export to fbx you can convert it with the free fbxconverter to animated 3ds.
Or you use another 3d modeler to convert it to another format.
And since version 8 Cinema 4D supports edge manipulation.
I personally think Cinema has very good Polygon manipulation tools. Where's the knife tool in 3DS Max?

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#9]
If you export to fbx you can convert it with the free fbxconverter to animated 3ds.

No you can't. The 3ds format doesn't support any kind of skeletal animation.

I personally think Cinema has very good Polygon manipulation tools. Where's the knife tool in 3DS Max?

You mean cut? It's on the E-Poly rollout.

Xception(Posted 2004) [#10]

No you can't. The 3ds format doesn't support any kind of skeletal animation.

That doesn't make sense.
The fbxconverter does convert to animated 3ds, I never said anything about skeletal animation in the 3ds.

You mean cut? It's on the E-Poly rollout.

No, I don'T mean cut, I mean the "knife tool".
That'S not the same as cut in 3DS MAX.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#11]
That doesn't make sense.
The fbxconverter does convert to animated 3ds, I never said anything about skeletal animation in the 3ds.

So you can export to it. It just won't have any animation. That's useful then. And you DID mention bones. What else are bones for if not skeletal animation?

I don't know what the knife tool does. Kinda hard to tell you where the Max equivalent is if I don't. Since knives cut, I took a huge leap of logic and guessed.

Isaac P(Posted 2004) [#12]
knife tool creates vertices on edges that you cut with it...

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#13]
Erm ok, but that's exactly what the cut tool does in Max. In poly sub-object mode, you create vertices on edges one after the other. In edge mode, there's an insert vertex button which will do one at a time.

Isaac P(Posted 2004) [#14]
http://www.psionic3d.co.uk/tutorials/lowpoly/gmod.html

Psionic shows usage of knife tool in c4d

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#15]
Ok, sounds like cut to me.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#16]

ermm yes it is.

Sybixsus is right on both counts. you can't have bones in a 3ds file, just hierarchical animation.

C4D is not in the same league as max or lightwave/maya. its more of a hobbyists tool.

Xception(Posted 2004) [#17]
That's what I wrote:

8.5 can export to fbx format with bones/animations.
fbx is an upcoming 3d interchange format, more and more 3d modelers support fbx.

Nowhere I wrote that the converted 3ds will have skeletal animation.
The fbx format supports bones and skeletal animation and not the 3ds.
Of course the converted 3ds is only animated if you used hierarchical animation within Cinema.
And hierarchical animation is animation, too.
So I'm right, the free fbxconverter can convert the fbx to an animated 3ds.
And if you need skeletal animation you can still use Cinema, just convert the fbx with another modeler or converter that imports fbx and exports to a model format supporting bones or write your own exporter.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#18]
But thats hardly a simple solution. be better off using a better program and exporting as a 3ds if you just want hierarchcial animations and these days most people don't.
If it doesn't support skeletal animation then its not much good for blitz users.

The fbx plugin for max is ok, but is still glitchy.
ie you can convert biped animations to maya bones animations , but I remember having a lot of problems with it.