Caligari GameSpace

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Caligari GameSpace

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#1]
Well it's been a few weeks/months? since GameSpace was released and I've been shy of buying it because of all the bad things people said about Caligari in general when it was released.

So, is it any good?

Does the add on level exporter work?

What is the support like?

Just wanted to know if it was worth buying or has any major flaws.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#2]
the people on the 3dgs forum don't seem to happy with it...

http://www.conitecserver.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?

http://www.conitecserver.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?

and a few that appear to have been taken down...

as far as i'm concerned... i've never had any problems with Caligari nor with TrueSpace.

it is my primary modeller at the current time, and works for me (using version 4.3, not the latest)...

i also had to return a partnered product i licensed from them, and the problem was curtiously and promptly handled by the people at Caligari...

Make sure that you really need GameSpace if model export is the prime reason for licensing it... otherwise, me thinks that (from what i've heard, and my experience with TS) that it will make a good overall modelling choice...

--Mike

cermit(Posted 2004) [#3]
I like it a lot! I didnt do much 3D modeling, but this sure is the best ive ever tryed.
There are lots of neat tools, i probaly dont know a third of them so far hehe.

I like the support, its pretty fast.. I had problem with the dl links
and within 5 minutes i recieved an email that helped me out.

The animation tool in gamespace is very powerful, if you know how to use it

I have had it for... 2-3 weeks and today i acheived this:

The green model( i hope you see its a monkey lol ) belove is about 350 polys the above is more like 1500 polys.
And its the first decent looking character i have created i think.
And the GUI is also very cool, very edit-able for your needs.

Pepsi(Posted 2004) [#4]
For someone like me with not much play money to be throwing around, I bought GS for $199 (pre-release price) and it's by far the best moddeling and animation tool, ofcoarse IMHO, that I have used so far( ie: specially over Milkshape3D, I can't model in that for the life of me for some reason... :/ ). Unfortunitly, I don't have lots and lots of money to invest in Lightwave, Maya, 3DSMax etc... to compare by. I'm definitely learning alot more "modelling" techniques with GS thats for sure! They have some sweet video tutorials by 3DBuzz on how to model a character and how to animate it. You can download them from the gamespace site and watch how they use GameSpace to do those tutorials.

The add on level exporter is ONLY that, an exporter. I forget if it compiles to BSP format or just spits out .map files for BSP compilers to compile from. But, "I think" the level exporter thing is pretty much useless for Blitz3D since Mark never took time to optimize his blitz bsp functionality.

Also, I think the Caligari team is nice and very helpful specially when needing help with how to do something with GS. With there help and learning how to use bits and peices of GS so far, I certainly wont be shelving this product anytime soon... I like it alot!

If I where you, I would definetly try out the GS demo before you decide on it though.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#5]
I used truespace back i 1996 when i first started modelling in 3d. It had a nice renderer, but i gave up on the interface

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#6]
Is there a GameSpace Demo? in a mag or for DL? I dont see one on the Calgari site.

How is the UI compared to TS? I hate the UI in TS.

cermit(Posted 2004) [#7]
I found this trial version, hope you like it too!

http://www.caligari.com/gamespace/evaluate.asp

The file is about 60 Mb, dunno wich version it is though

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#8]
Thanks

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#9]
I like the demo, going to get the program.

MikeHart(Posted 2004) [#10]
How is the UI compared to TS? I hate the UI in TS.

Because GS is based on TS6.6 it is the same. Why do you hate it?

cermit(Posted 2004) [#11]
Falelorn: Try to get read the PDF tutorial from the beginning, that makes it a lot easier
and when you are bored you might just check out this video tutorial, lot more fun then reading hehe
http://www.caligari.com/gamespace/tutorial/index.asp#3DBuzz

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#12]
@MikeHart - Never tried TS6.6, I hated 4.x, and found the UI just lacking in basic intuitiveness. Funny thing is, GS (and I now assume TS6.6) have a similar UI to TS4.x, so either ive grown into the UI, its actually a better UI now then before, or the moons are in proper alignment for me to appreciate GS.TS now.

@cermit thanks for the link, and advice, I will. Im going to play with it today

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#13]
funny... the TSpace ui was the only one that i felt comfortable with, out of a few that i tried...

... it was the only one that i could come back to after a week away from it, and jump right back into the modelling without having to relearn the thing.

--Mike

Ethan3850(Posted 2004) [#14]
Red Ocktober's right about the UI - it is very good. The undo command is a right pain in the backside though (I use the Scene Library and Save command to compensate for it).

The 3D Buzz tutorial videos are also worth a look (the links on the Gamespace site if you can still download them).

MikeHart(Posted 2004) [#15]
What I like about the UI so much is that you can set it up your own. Gives you much more workspace. The Undo funtion can be a pain sometimes. Some people say that stibility is an issue with TS. But on mind it runs great. Also I noticed that a lot 3d apps have problem like that. I like TS a lot. But I also own ZBrush and Animation Master. At the end they are just tools.

Isaac P(Posted 2004) [#16]
I like gamespace its easy to use, but you can probably get the same results in milkshape albeit with a little more effort for a fraction of the cost.

But i didnt care about price so i bought gamespace and i cant fault it

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#17]
Bought GameSpace and I love it, im glad i found this thread and downloaded the demo. Or else I never would have bought it.

It is so easy to use, and im fairly impressed by it. 100x better then I expected.

m-stitts(Posted 2004) [#18]
I've been pondering getting gamepace (currently running ts 5.1).

The features show support for a b3d exporter, can anyone
here give an opinion on how well it works?

Isaac P(Posted 2004) [#19]
no faults work just like the UUW3d one

cermit(Posted 2004) [#20]
M-stitts: I like the b3d exporter, its even better than the 3ds i think :D

Falelorn: Glad you like it!