The next big thing...

Community Forums/Developer Stations/The next big thing...

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#1]

GameCoder(Posted 2004) [#2]
???

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#3]
I believe the expression you're looking for is, "WTF?"

GNS(Posted 2004) [#4]
Character Shop?!

Kuron(Posted 2004) [#5]
Looked better before he changed it to a "blurred" pic.

Red(Posted 2004) [#6]
You forgot to remove blur filter LOL

Floyd(Posted 2004) [#7]
It's a new concept for a restricted use demo.

The old way is to limit by time or number of uses.
This new way limits by visibility.

sswift(Posted 2004) [#8]
Contact lenses!

(LoL at Floyd)

sswift(Posted 2004) [#9]
Seriosuly though, it clearly says Character Shop, but it doesn't look like it does much.

I can see an object heriarchy there, and a list of vertices, and clearly the vertcies in the window have weights.

So it looks like a tool to set vertex weights.

It also says "Walk" next to the play button. So clearly if you press that the character will go through the animation.

I don't understand how a tool to set vertex weights though is the next big thing. The menu is bare, and there is no toolbar except a small one with a save button. So it doesn't look like you can edit animations, only preview how your changes to the vertcies affect the current animations of the bones. IF that. I don't see any tools to change the weights of vertcies either. Right now, it looks like it might only preview the character.

Maybe it has a long way to go before completion.

Doggie(Posted 2004) [#10]
Well, I'm just real sorry but if anyone thinks I'm even going to look at a demo that is all blurred like that they got to be outta their brain.

Ice9(Posted 2004) [#11]
Full screen motion blur in windows???

Kuron(Posted 2004) [#12]
ROFL@Arbi

Red(Posted 2004) [#13]
It's characterFX-like

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#14]
There's a great quote from "Enter The Dragon" which I feel is very appropriate here:

"It's like a finger, pointing a way to the moon...don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all the heavenly glory!"

I believe if Bruce was here, he would say;

"Don't concentrate on the blurry picture you dolts! Figure out what this means as Blitz3D users, what will it enable you to do?"

Have a look, have a think...

:)

IPete2.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#15]
I fail to see what it enables us to do we couldn't do already in a variety of other products. Not that makes it a bad product, but hardly 'the next big thing'.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#16]
Well presumably since Halo has always been interested in finding a way to create art without the use of an artist, it'll be some kind of one-click solution.

Of course, there are a number of programs out there already which feature auto-rigging and the results vary between bloody awful and just-about-tolerable-with-a-lot-of-tweaking.

I'd say I'll keep my eye on it, but I'm afraid of permanently damaging my eyesight with the current pic.

Ice9(Posted 2004) [#17]
IPete2... OH!! I see it's telescope. Very nice indeed but
the focus seems to be a tad bit off.
;)

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#18]
Telescope - gee I thought you guys could read! Obviously I was wrong, perhaps the text I wrote was too blurred for you!

IPete2.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#19]
IPete2

Philosophical pandering ala Bruce Lee aside, I agree with swift. It doesn't look like it does much beyond set the weights for vertices.

I fail to see why I should give a damn.

And the blurring is very ghey.

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#20]
Epic,

Yeah the blurring was a ploy to be mysterious and tease I guess, perhaps a little pointless!

However, as no-one knows what this app will do, and yet most posts declare or specuate that it must be no use at all as "other things out there do the job" seems a bit forward.

My point was don't judge it yet - you don't know what you are looking at.

When Halo is ready to release more information he will.

But hey, everyone is allowed their opinion - I just wanted to share mine. :)

IPete2.

joncom2000(Posted 2004) [#21]
Maybe it will be like Cshop, works every three updates and is broken the rest of the time :)

Given the amount of problems people who have paid for Cshop have with that maybe Halo should think of fixing it before he moves on to "The next big thing" ;)

Kornflex(Posted 2004) [#22]
Hehehe You right Jon :) Before CharacterShop and Cshop5 :) fix the .x exporter, lightmap (very long for the moment), carving, hollow, ...in the version of CS4.1

Regards,

Kissme(Posted 2004) [#23]
This new tool it's like a other ? i remember someone working on a project called : Pacemaker.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=30128
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=32252

Kiss.

cermit(Posted 2004) [#24]
I prefer to have something bugfree, better take Pacemaker. Neat screenshot ;)

Kissme(Posted 2004) [#25]
LoL Cermit :)

Kiss.

Wiebo(Posted 2004) [#26]
Sometimes you just gotta move on. Looks neat, even when blurred!

cermit(Posted 2004) [#27]
I just dont like the way josh handles support of his tools. If i buy a tool i want good support for it, if i dont get support and software working bad its wasted money.

Kornflex(Posted 2004) [#28]
:-D

Regards,

RedRidingHood(Posted 2004) [#29]
So you had problems with him too ah Cermit?

poopla(Posted 2004) [#30]
Lol, looks like a blurry version of the stormfactor engine character editor 8).

Miracle(Posted 2004) [#31]
I do like how the guy in back has his foot connected to the guy in front's butt. Perhaps it's an arse-kicking sim.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#32]
However, as no-one knows what this app will do, and yet most posts declare or specuate that it must be no use at all as "other things out there do the job" seems a bit forward.

Sure, but you can make an educated guess as to the feature set. I mean, look at it. I don't see a lot of buttons or tools there. SSwift's speculation on what the program does seems pretty spot on to me.

Unless he's turned a lot of it off for the preview screenshot. Which seems like the wrong thing to do since people will think it doesn't do anything.

I mean, this thread is a marketing ploy. He's trying to generate interest in the program before it's done by dropping a teaser. It wouldn't make sense to cripple that teaser so badly that it turns people off. It defeats the purpose.

Unless he's stupid.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#33]
I am afraid you ppl consequently underestimate Halo. I guess this tool may be the first Blitztool capable of importing motion capture data. Maybe not, but since halo worked on it some time ago...

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#34]
well... one thing is for sure...

he has got everyone talking...

--Mike

Warren(Posted 2004) [#35]
Right, it's a marketing ploy. It's not too hard to understand the strategy.

Kornflex(Posted 2004) [#36]
@jfk : "I am afraid you ppl consequently underestimate Halo. I guess this tool may be the first Blitztool capable of importing motion capture data. Maybe not, but since halo worked on it some time ago..."

Read the official CS4 forum and count how many bugs CS4 have (never fixed) and you will be understand why :)

http://cartographyshop.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_read&i=13

Regards,

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#37]
it's sold to the darkbasic community, so what? j/k. CS may have a number of bugs, but a lot of people including experienced blitz users wrote that CS is probably the best level Editor for Blitz, some time ago.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#38]
CShop is a very decent and capable lightmapping and creation tool... free of legal entanglements that come with the other tool that is closely resembles...

it is well suited for certain kinds of work, and the program works well within those parameters...

the latest version is very stable, but does have a few faults open...

the lightmapping effects are very good...

the price is a lil high for the market segment (imho)

overall, it is a good capable tool for the segment of the market it targets, and the author has done a good job of being responsive to the intended audience and customers.

based on past performance, i can expect josh's newest 'next big thing' to be similar in nature...

so i'm interested in hearing a lil more about this... personalities and signals from the far side of the universe aside...

--Mike

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#39]
If you define a "bug" as not knowing how to set up collision in DB, or not working when you attempt to install the program on your CD-ROM, you're correct.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#40]
Christ, are DB users that stupid? Attempting to install onto a CD-ROM ranks right up there among the dumbest computer noob behaviors I've heard.

LineOf7s(Posted 2004) [#41]
I do like how the guy in back has his foot connected to the guy in front's butt. Perhaps it's an arse-kicking sim.
LOL