3DS Max Users. If you modelled a house how >>

Community Forums/Developer Stations/3DS Max Users. If you modelled a house how >>

GameCoder(Posted 2004) [#1]
If you modelled a house, how big in unit size would it generally be. I have changed my units to generic in Max and want to know how big say a house would be in units or a standard human model.

I am obviously retarded when it comes to blitz3D and have problems with scaling so there is no need to point that out :p

So :

In generic Units, How many units high should a dude generally be?

Same as above but with another object.

Difference(Posted 2004) [#2]
Usually I do 1 unit = 1 meter in MAX.
In Autocad 1 Unit = 1 Millimeter, because that's how the architects draw here. (DK)
Terrain is usually in meters too.

Your generic dude would be about 1.8 units high, if he is in meters.

When run as a walkthrough model in Blitz, I often scale everything to fit the view setup anyway.

Make sure that everyone you work with sets up MAX units correctly from the start. Even though there are workarounds, it's a real pain exchanging models when some are in inches, some in meters and some in "erhh - I don't know, how do I set that up?" :)

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#3]
There are no set units. 1 generic unit in Max = 1 unit in Blitz. What those units represent is up to you. Sometimes I use 1 unit = 1 meter, sometimes I use 1 unit = 1 foot, etc. It depends on the scale of your game. Just make sure that, whatever you decide, you are consistent. And make sure to adjust CameraRange appropriately; that's the most common thing people forget to adjust to the scale of their game.