LWconverter and smoothing

Community Forums/Developer Stations/LWconverter and smoothing

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#1]
can any one tell me why this is happening
im using terrabits converter..both the original and the beta version...but my problem is the smoothing on the original doesnt seem to work on all the model..if i run the model thru the beta version then its smooths fine, i know its easy to say... "well just use the beta version" but its a beta version and doesnt have the error checking on although it does remember directory`s..is any one else having these problems, i have tried cranking up the smoothing in lightwave but this has no effect on the converted model....what am i doing wrong ?

you can see the beta version smooths as good as lightwave

just take a look at the hands,torso and legs

TeraBit(Posted 2004) [#2]
One of the problems with the original LWDeform.exe was that since Discontinous UVs broke the mesh up with extra vertices, it was impossible to tell where the smoothing should go (Lightwave does not have smothing groups as such, simply a smoothing angle applied to surfaces). Since there are legitimate reasons why you would want to break sections so that no smoothing occurs, you would need to do the smoothing first.

This though has the effect of creating extra vertices, thus stuffing the texture adjustments. Suffice to say, the smoothing was good in the first one, if you didn't have disco mapped models. The Beta version uses quite a complicated bunch of stuff to get around this problem and hence it is a beta since there may be problems I haven't found yet.

My suggestion is use the Beta and when you encounter problems report them so I can fix it.

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#3]
thanks terrabit
i have not had any probs so far with the beta version...i only used the original coz it had error notices in it, only probs ive had were caused by me.

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#4]
Hi Terrabit

One other issue - if I set up a segmented character (no bones) and move limb pivots to where I want the limbs to rotate from (in layout), the rigid converter doesn't seem to like the new positions of the pivots and 'explodes' the character.

TeraBit(Posted 2004) [#5]
Hi MadJack,

Can you send me the .LWO / .LWS to play with and see what's going on. I can't remember how this was supposed to work, I think you have to set the pivot point in Modeler.

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#6]
Terabit

Will do - will have to be tomorrow though - can't spare the time right now (pulling an all nighter to get something out the door)

TeraBit(Posted 2004) [#7]
OK. I've been looking at the file you sent.

I've come to the conclusion that I hate the .LWO / .LWS file format.

It's ugly, it's hard to understand and overall not very nice.

So what's going on....

There are pivot points in the .LWO file. There are Pivot points in each layer. There are pivot points in the scene file. Each has their independent position, rotation and scale. The .LWO is Reversed notation binary and the .LWS is ASCII! It's a wonder anything made in Lightwave converts to .B3D at all!

That being said, I don't get what is going on.. I adjust the position of the Pivot Points and the joint doesn't move. Eh? This whole thing needs to be re-written by someone with a brain bigger than mine... :/

TeraBit(Posted 2004) [#8]
Right..

I've fixed it... so far. It appears that all movement in LW is absolute and that all movement in .B3D files is relative.

So after converting from absolute to relative, it's working. I wonder if everything else is now broken.. :|

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#9]
Do you have a new version download link that has these fixes?

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#10]
Terabit

You're a champion.

If I ever finish my game, it'll be a free copy to you.

TeraBit(Posted 2004) [#11]
@Mustang
Soon, I'm just going to update a few other bits first. It's funny that the problem hasn't been reported until now, since the rigid convertor has been out for a year or more.

@MadJack - Sounds good :)

watch this space..