Tattoo 1.8 is up

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Tattoo 1.8 is up

TeraBit(Posted 2004) [#1]
Version 1.8
Brush Rendering system changed adding extra Speed making the brush more responsive especially in projection mode!
Smoothed out the Dodge, Burn and Smear brushes a bit.
Added a zoom control to the Texture View Window (+ / - on Main Keyboard)
Added some compatibility fixes for some PCs / GFX Card.

Let me know how you get on.

ashmantle(Posted 2004) [#2]
Thanks ^^

TeraBit(Posted 2004) [#3]
As a note, the new brush rendering thing is a bit of an unusual approach to the problem. Could anyone that has a few mins please check out 1.8 and let me know if you get any visual artifacts when painting.

QuickSilva(Posted 2004) [#4]
Will do, downloading now.

Jason.

Qube(Posted 2004) [#5]
yay, works on my laptop now too :)... impressive tool, thanks :)

TeraBit(Posted 2004) [#6]
So far so good. :)

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#7]
Artifacts? Do you mean when painting with shaped brushes? If you meant that I don't get any - everything works perfectly!

TeraBit(Posted 2004) [#8]
Glad to hear it. I didn't have any problems with it, but you know how these things are :|

Hmmm. Where next for Tattoo?

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#9]
Lee, do you have a mode where you actually paint straight to the texture, and you can see the effect on the model?

I mean, you have the texture image AND the model. You can zoom right into the texture, like photoshop, and edit it?

Sorry if you do. I haven't used it in a wee while :)

TeraBit(Posted 2004) [#10]
I've been thinking about that. It's possible (something like that happens in projection mode you'll notice if you have your texture view open), but the problem is, the texture is often bigger than the screen, so fitting them comfortably together never really gelled. It's tough to paint at -x6 zoom.

QuickSilva(Posted 2004) [#11]
Works great here Lee. I have some new ideas if you need some, just ask :)

Jason.

TeraBit(Posted 2004) [#12]
Send 'em on over.

:)

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#13]
This version is really really slow on my machine. I'm getting ~8-12 FPS when I'm painting, both in projection mode and normal mode. I used to get around 60FPS in both modes.

The slow down is so severe that the menus are totally unresponsive, and I have to click them 5-10 times before Tattoo registers it!

Boohooo... ;(

TeraBit(Posted 2004) [#14]
By default each install of Tattoo now sets the 'Force to VRAM' flag to off (mainly for compatibility reasons). Some sets of drivers don't like it either way :/ .

You'll need to set it on again in the config options, or take the 'V' out of the prefs.txt file. That should fix your wagon. :)

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#15]
Hi,

Yep, that sorted it. I had flicked it on and off though, but since it didn't tell me otherwise, I assumed the effect was instant (ie. it reloaded or recreated the texture immediately).

A messagebox telling you a restart is needed for the change to take effect would be nice!

TeraBit(Posted 2004) [#16]

A messagebox telling you a restart is needed for the change to take effect would be nice!

Will do!

RedRidingHood(Posted 2004) [#17]
Hi Lee,

I just thought I'd let you know that a virus scanner by the name of Nod32 is calling your program dirty names. ;)

I've been researching various virus scanners and I was trying out the demo for Nod32 http://www.nod32.com/home/home.htm and I also happened to have your latest demo on my system. The virus scanner said the tattoo.exe was "probably an unknown WIN32 virus".

I'm sure it's heuristics scanner is just messing up, but I posted this just in case you wanted to check it out.