Question for Quill3d and CS4 owners

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Question for Quill3d and CS4 owners

c32bit(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi all. I have looked at both CS4 and Quill3d, downloaded the demos and tried them out. Both are excellent! I was able to get a halfway decent looking level built in what seemed like minutes with both. I am having trouble choosing between these 2 apps thus I have a couple of questions.

1. Quill 3d has a "subtract selected from scene clipping intersect" feature. Can anyone tell me if CS4 has a similar feature?

2. Does one app have any more advantage over the other when it comes to building levels for Blitz3d? (This coming from someone who is not a modeller.)

Thanks.

Also, could someone please explain what this is? -Taken from Idigicon's page for Quill 3d "Save the level with "portal" information to enable fast in game rendering speed."

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2004) [#2]
2: Quill3D allso makes models, and UV-mapping.

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#3]
1. Cartography Shop 4.1 has carve and hollow, which I believe is the same thing you are describing.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2004) [#4]
Quill3d exports the level direct to .b3d containing all static mesh and entity info. Quill3d also has a fully functional viz system.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#5]
Quill3d exports the level direct to .b3d containing all static mesh and entity info.

Doesn't CShop 4.1 have that too? I haven't downloaded it yet, but I thought it did.

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#6]
The quote from Idigicons page about portals refers to the fact that you can save out portal occlusion data. In basic terms this means that objects/triangles aren't rendered if you can't see them. Very useful.

Kornflex(Posted 2004) [#7]
Before to ordering CS4.1, please read his forum for see what he can do and what he can't :)

http://cartographyshop.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_read&i=13

Regards,

Ricky Smith(Posted 2004) [#8]

Doesn't CShop 4.1 have that too? I haven't downloaded it yet, but I thought it did

Could well be that the latest version does - I think it exports the level geometry now to .b3d but don't know if it includes entity info or it saves it apart in its own format.
Quill3d also saves the mesh into a hierarchial format so that parts of the level can be shown/hidden in real time.
Having said that I'm not too sure of the future of Quill3d now that Birdie's not involved. There will probably be no more updates so CS4 may be the better option if future added improvements/features are important .

c32bit(Posted 2004) [#9]
I was thinking about that as well, Birdie no longer being involved. CS4 might become the winner by default. Unless there is an extra $299 for GameSpace 1.5 hiding under my pillow in the morning. :-)
Anyways, one last question before ordering CS4...
In quill, you can create a cube, then create a cylinder, place that through the cude, click a button and have the cylinder shaped hole in the cube. Would I be correct in assuming CS4's carve command does the same thing?

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#10]

c32bit(Posted 2004) [#11]
Sold! That is what I needed to see. Thanks Halo.

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#12]
C32bit,

You may also like to know that the recent Pro version of Tree Magic now has a .csm exporter, so you can easily put trees into your CS maps!

Note: for meshes which you load in (eg .csm imports) you need to make sure you have the new light mapper which is available on the CartographyShop forum - link here:

http://www.leadwerks.com/files/light.zip

If you are not sure - keep your old one backed up.

You MUST have and use the FINAL version of CS 4.1 (not the beta) for this lightmapper to work. It will take longer but the results should lightmap the mesh objects imported as well.

IPete2.

IPete2.