gile[s] exporting problems

Community Forums/Developer Stations/gile[s] exporting problems

angel martinez(Posted 2004) [#1]
At last I bought gile[s]! and I have to say that it works very well,it is very easy to apply lightmaps to the models I make with 3dmax.The problems begin when I try to export the scenes.With b3d the lightmap is OK but the model shows in the game with the rotations of the meshes changed.well I have fixed this converting first the model file from 3ds to b3d with Milkshape and then apply the lightmap in gile[s].But when I try to export to x files(and 3ds also)the lightmaps simply donīt work, they donīt show in the game and I canīt find the reason.Can anyone help me?
(Of course all the files are in the correct directory and such...)
Thanks.

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#2]
.X and .3DS do not support more than one set of UV's - and since lightmaps use the second set of UV's on top of the color UV's -> no lightmaps with .X and .3DS.

And MAX has "funny" axis arragement, so your models may end up being 90 deg "off" unless your exporter can fix that automatically.

More about coordinate system differences:

http://www.discreet.com/support/max/faq/answer.php3?prod=dddstudio&id=1153

angel martinez(Posted 2004) [#3]
Thanks Mustang but then if is not possible to export lighmaps with .X format what does exporting gile functionality use for?

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#4]
gile[s] exports *two* .X files, one has the color UV and the other lightmap UV. You can then parse these together by using the geometry from the first and UV's from both to get one lightmapped entity - I think that Dark Basic can do that at least, and maybe some file format converters too.

angel martinez(Posted 2004) [#5]
Thank you very much,Mustang.

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#6]
Why not export to .b3d ?