batch process to tileable textures

Community Forums/Developer Stations/batch process to tileable textures

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#1]
Does anyone know of a graphics app that'll allow me to batch process any number of images into tileable textures?

I'm hoping to be able to render a set of animated textures in Lightwave, save as individual bmp files, make all tileable without having to do this manually, and then use Glueit to produce an animated texture strip...

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#2]
I know GIMP includes a simple filter for making images tileable, although I don't remember if it can batch process a bunch of images (ie. run that filter on multiple images with a single click.) I once had an app to do that, but it was a custom art tool written by one of the programmers on the project and so probably isn't available for download anywhere.

Note of course that any automated process for making images tileable, including GIMP's filter, will be limited in what it can successfully process. Making some chaotic and random field of color tileable is easy and can be automated, but making something more distinct and defined (eg. a picket fence) tileable requires manual work to match up the details.

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#3]
Joe

Good point about tiling a 'picket fence' texture, but I am looking at producing abstract animated textures (lava being one)and so something that can at least do a (batch) rudimentary job.

(I expect somebody'll pop up shortly and tell me I should do it in Blitz)

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#4]
Well then take a look at GIMP. It's free and availalbe for Windows. The tiling filter is probably just what you need, although as I said I don't know if you can setup a batch process with GIMP.

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#5]
Joe

Will do - although I spent an hour on the net last night and found plenty of apps that do tiling, but just don't allow batch tiling - which is what I'm after.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#6]
Ah, that sucks. Hm, I wonder if you could write a Blitz app that launches a tiling app and runs it over and over on every image in a directory?

GNS(Posted 2004) [#7]
I believe elias wrote some code to make textures tileable/seamless. I've had good results with it. It could be modified to load textures from a directory and apply the changes to all of them.

http://www.natomic.com/hosted/solid/seamless.zip

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#8]
GNS

Ripper! The Blitz community rides to the rescue again.

I'm at work at present to will test it out later.

Thanks

elias_t(Posted 2004) [#9]
Hi.
Better use this link:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=650

The example that GNS posted is outdated and has a bug in it.

Bye.

GNS(Posted 2004) [#10]
Thanks elias. I didn't know a newer version had been released (or that there was even a bug!). I'll be sure to get the fix later today.

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#11]
Thanks for all the replies.

Did some more web scouring last night. Didn't find any app that allowed batch 'make tileable' image processing. But haven't fully checked out the bb file supplied above.

I do know that Adobe ImageReady can do this.

However, have settled on the following software

http://www.texturemaker.com/

This is one nice programme. It allows me to create professional quality seamless and seamlessly (animated) looping textures (such as water, lava etc) and also seamlessly looping particle effects.

And I then use Glueit to produce the animstrips.

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#12]
anybody else use Texturemaker for their Blitz texture creations?

Binary_Moon(Posted 2004) [#13]
Have you tried ExGen its really good :)

It now exports avis (has always exported animstrips) and you can tile the output.

The only problem is you can't yet loop the animations but that is on the to do list and will definately happen some time.

Download the demo, there is a lite version built in so that you can test the different features and export your creations (for free).

BTW I created it because I didn't like the particle editor in Texture maker - that and I didn't want to spend as much as texture maker costs.