Cant import .obj into characterFX

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Cant import .obj into characterFX

big10p(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi

I'm currently trying the demo version of characterFX but get an error message (in german) when trying to import .obj files - something about LUALIB.DLL. Anyone know what's up?

Someone on the CFX forums seems to have the same problem but no one has posted a proper solution yet.

BTW, Im creating my .obj files by exporting from wings3D.

Thanks for any help.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#2]
Why don't you use 3ds? Wings can export to that file format, and CharacterFX can import it.

I'm afraid I'm not much help on the importing obj problem. I usually export models with skeleton attached from Milkshape, using the Milkshape ASCII file format as a go between.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2004) [#3]
have you checked i you have that dll in the error message, could be something that simple.

Ethan3850(Posted 2004) [#4]
CharacterFX has bugs that cause the program to crash when importing some 3ds and obj files. 3ds is a lot safer than obj, so try what jhocking suggests.

If that doesn't work then try converting your object to a single mesh (CFX doesn't like objects made up using union operations etc.) and make sure your textures are in the same directory as your object and the paths are relative (CFX 3ds importer crashes when reading some filenames).

A free utility called WinConv3ds with "create single mesh" set seems to produce 3ds that don't crash CFX - sorry, can't remember where I got it from.

Oh, and if you don't have the DLL - better just reinstall.

big10p(Posted 2004) [#5]
Yeah, I have the DLL mentioned.

This is no big prob really, though. As you guys say, I can import 3DS files which seems to be more reliable. It's just that I'm evaluating the demo and wondered why importing .obj files wasn't working.

Thanks for the replies.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#6]
Here they worked. Seems to be a matter of how the Modeler did save them. Try to load them in LithUnwrap and then save them again.

Unlike OBJ, 3DS can be very slow in CFX.

Knotz(Posted 2004) [#7]
The route we normally follow is:
Silo(obj)->Unwrap3d(ms3d)->Milkshape(txt)->CharacterFX

This works pretty good.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#8]
That's more or less what I do too. I use Wings for modeling, but other than that first step my art workflow is the same. As I mentioned, I find going from Milkshape to CharacterFX with the Milkshape ASCII format works very well.

big10p(Posted 2004) [#9]
I dont have Unwrap3D or Milkshape nor can I afford to get them at the mo.

BTW, re: CharacterFX - does anyone know of any good tuts on how to use it (or do animation in general). After a quick play it seems placing joints accurately is a nightmare - or am I missing something?

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#10]
Make sure to read the tutorials linked from the CharacterFX site. The one translated from French is especially useful.

EDIT: Hm, that one appears to be gone. Whatever, there are a couple others there too. Also search for "characterfx tutorial" on Google.

big10p(Posted 2004) [#11]
Yeah, i tried the links on the CFX site but there's not that many and some are broken. Guess I'll have to go for another search session with Google.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#12]
I thought making joints is pretty easy. You can then also use the automatic skinning to get some nice weighted vertices - at least IF your static Model uses a good X-shape pose.

big10p(Posted 2004) [#13]
Yeah, I'll have to buckle down and really have a crack at CFX. I was meaning to do this earlier but I seem to have got bogged down in the modelling phase. Haven't done any texturing yet, either. :/ Ah well, it's all good fun (mostly) and I'm in no particular hurry. Cheers.

Psionic(Posted 2004) [#14]
http://www.psionic3d.co.uk/tutorials.html

The zombie tutorial I wrote has two sections on CFX you might find useful ;-)

big10p(Posted 2004) [#15]
Thanks, I'll take a look see. ;)