- Problems with deleted models fixed
- Scale bug fixed
- Lightmap assignment error fixed
- Lighting method wizard fixed
- Ray Bias parameter tweaked
- Patchy GI error fixed

Find out more at: http://www.frecle.net/giles

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#2]
Cool! Now I need just time... which I don't have because of the newborn family member! :)

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#3]
I'm sure you can convince your wife it's a wonderful idea to model your daughter in 3D :) Then you can render her in gile[s] afterwards ;)

napole0n(Posted 2004) [#4]
You're pretty fast with those updates. Cheers :-)

Caff(Posted 2004) [#5]
Thank you Fredborg! ASE export is a fantastic addition :)

Doggie(Posted 2004) [#6]
Whoa. Best version yet. Just one omni light stuck in the
middle of my scene and it looks incredible.
Fredborg, is there going to be a way to add plug-ins?
I want to be able to load my World Creater files in
and lightmap 'em. The format is dead simple, just a descriptive text file. All you'd have to do is save out
a HomeSPun file(the text save not the Blitz code save)
and you'd see how easy it would be. Just a thought.

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#7]
There will be a plug-in system added, in the semi near future, that allows you to write importer/exporter .dll's

This would of course mean that you have to do it using C or another language that can compile to a .dll. But there is always the .gls file format, which it is pretty simple to write an exporter for in Blitz. If you feel up to it, you can download the specs for it on the gile[s] website.

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#8]
Hi,

As usual there were some problems with the update *giggles* :)

So version 1.18a is up, and fixes the following:
- Save Changes only appears after actual changes
- Minimizing no longer hides pop up windows
- Merge Lights is working again
- Scaling and rotating should no longer mess up
- Color picker working again
- Minor change to b3d exporter, vertex colors are only saved when nescessary.
- Editing of tree views is a little nicer, ie. the item isn't picked up immediately

That's it! Have a great weekend!

SabataRH(Posted 2004) [#9]
Awesome support you are providing for gile(s)... grabbing the update now.. :)

Thanks!

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#10]
Hi,

Version 1.19 is out, and I figured there wasn't a need to start a new thread.

Here's a list of changes:
- Improved axis editing
- Render Engine tweak, should remove most black spot problems
- Rendering Speed Up
- Paint Engine Improved
- Silent Camera mode, hold Ctrl to navigate while staying in another editing mode
- Render Progress bar, should now stop at 100% :)

The rendering is now twice as fast on average, but some scenes are much much faster now.

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#11]
Shame you can't change the name of the thread. Would be dead handy.

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#12]
God damn you! I just installed 1.18a... and now I have update that :)

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#13]
:D

Akat(Posted 2004) [#14]
i think there are aomething wrong with 3ds exporter... the texture doesnt show the right map channel... when i weld the vertices its getting even weirdo

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#15]
Akat, only the first texture layer is exported in 3ds. Could that be the problem? Also note that the texture filenames in 3ds files are limited to the 8.3 format, so the texture filenames might change on export.

Genexi2(Posted 2004) [#16]
Was just wonderin, how does Gile[s] compare to other lightmappers?

Just after havin' many good comments and stuff about it, I've actual gone off and started downloadin' the demo to see what all the fuss is about.....and it seems this lightmapper has a huge amount of features as well......

If I can actually get my parents to do some online shoppin' for me (underage here to get my own credit card :-/), I might add this to the list...the pricin' seems a little high (for me), but it looks as if to be worth it...

CyBeRGoth(Posted 2004) [#17]
I would say its the best lightmapper you can get.
The output is almost exactly the same as you see in 3ds max, for example if you place a light in the center of a room with 5 pillars in it so they cast shadows, and then render this in max, take a screenshot, export the scene and lightmap it in gile[s] you would be hard pressed to see the difference, its that good!

on top of that, its fast too.

:)

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#18]
I like Gile[s] not just for the lightmapping.

At the moment I create rooms and objects in Quill3D then arrange and light them in Gile[s].

Second to Blitz3D, Gile[s] is the best piece of software I've ever had the pleasure to use.

What even more amazing is that Fredborg doesn't pay me to say these things lol, believe me it's a smashing program to use.

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#19]
I would pay you to spell my name right though ;)

Rimmsy(Posted 2004) [#20]
Yeah, it's spelled "Freddy"

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#21]
He got you mixed up with a Bread Board. Easy mistake to make.

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#22]
Yeah, easy mistake :D

Akat: I found the problem! If you have two materials with the same name, the first one is used (because of the 3ds file formats quirks). It's fixed for the next update!

Akat(Posted 2004) [#23]
ah man!... 1.20 coming? my 1.19 is not warm yet :)

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#24]
In case you didn't know about it, the upcoming update for Blits3D includes ModulateX2 blending, excellent for lightmaps. Be sure gile[s] will take this into account as soon as it's available!

napole0n(Posted 2004) [#25]
I read about this ModulateX2 blending in the newsletter, but it isn't entirely clear to me what it's all about. Is it used to make more washed-out bright scenes (like bright glaring sunlight)?

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#26]
I read about this ModulateX2 blending in the newsletter, but it isn't entirely clear to me what it's all about. Is it used to make more washed-out bright scenes (like bright glaring sunlight)?

http://gilesforum.proboards26.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&num=1070807958

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=27774

napole0n(Posted 2004) [#27]
Hmm, looks pretty cool. Those Ico lighting effects seem within reach...

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#28]
How to enable Modulate2X:

http://gilesforum.proboards26.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&num=1078355723

It isn't fully supported yet, but should do until version 1.20 is available!

napole0n(Posted 2004) [#29]
Nice one :)

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#30]
That thread on the gile[s] forum has me concerned. Fredborg, you made a post indicating that alpha transparency no longer works right. I went and verified that alpha tranparency still works in the latest update of Blitz (it does) so does that mean a bug in gile[s]?

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#31]
Alpha transparency alone works, but when combined with additional texture layers it fails.

Meaning that materials that have a transparent texture, with a lightmap on top, will not have any texture alpha.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#32]
Oh, that was always the case anyway. I mean, it did work on some video cards, but not on all so it was ill advised to do that.

How about calculating the lightmap however? Will gile[s] take into account transparency when generating lightmaps? eg. a tree with alpha transparency for leaves casting its shadow onto the ground.

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#33]
Yes, alpha is still taken into account when rendering, and you always have the option to use vertex lighting for materials with alpha.

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#34]
you should really add this picture to the galery :)

subtitle something like "texture lighting makes the difference" or something like that :-)

really like this cave

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#35]
Whew, that's good to know. Excellent pic by the way.

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#36]
Yes, alpha is still taken into account when rendering, and you always have the option to use vertex lighting for materials with alpha.

So... are you saying that if I want now worn-out metal (like corners of a gun etc) I have to use vertex lighting instead of true lightmaps on top of (alphaed) color map (which has spherical map on the layer below it)?

napole0n(Posted 2004) [#37]
@Fredborg: I really like Gile[s] for my prebaked shadows, but do you have any tips how to achieve good character and or real-time shadows? I've seen some examples with the FLEX-objects, but I'd prefer a more projection-based method. Any ideas? Games like Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia seem to do all shadows on the fly or something.

Excellent pic by the way.

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#38]
Mustang: That still works (I think), but say a tree crown or window won't work. If the base texture layer has alpha, and a another texture is applied on top of it, the alpha is ignored.

napole0n: Try looking up sswifts shadow system, people seem to like it.

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#39]
If the base texture layer has alpha, and a another texture is applied on top of it, the alpha is ignored.

Ah - "better". I just use "shiny metal" material structure for trees too :)