map builder

Community Forums/Developer Stations/map builder

Alberto(Posted 2004) [#1]
hello

I would like to know which is, in your opinion, the best map builder to create 3d level, mainly for internals.
I am using Maplet but I must confess that I do not like it so much
thanks

darklordz(Posted 2004) [#2]
3d studio max...but very expensive...

KiwiSteve(Posted 2004) [#3]
Have a look at Mapbuilder. I'm using it at the moment, and it is pretty good. The gui takes a bit of getting used to but the support is excellent. The address is http://www.skydat.net/MapBuilder/index.html

Have a look at the demo. It is possible to import straight into Blitz3D, but you need the registered version for it.

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#4]
Yes, 3D studio max is a great program and not too hard to get started with if you're at least an intermediate user. However, if you're a total beginner to computer graphics and you're not very computer savvy 3d studio max will probably make you short circuit. Also, you should know that 3d studio max is quite a piece of intensive software, I'm running a p4 2.0ghz, 512mb ram, nvedia geforce fx 5200 and I have occasional refresh problems if i click other windows, solved by minimizing and bringing the window back up, so would probably work best with 1g of ram. there are quite a few free programs like worldcraft and qradiant, gmax and a lot of other stuff. tell gmax to make a b3d pack! but, there are 'try before you buy' versions of 3d studio max if you're up to it. I just got 3ds max recently and have no prior exp with it but, similar progs. It is a bit of a steep learning curve for me but, the tutorials are very good and easy to follow.

N(Posted 2004) [#5]
Cartography Shop. Great for the price, in my opinion.
Second on the list is, of course, 3d Studio Max. As for CodeD's comments on what hardware is good for 3d Studio Max, I'm running almost the same hardware ('cept I use a geForce 3 ti200) and he's not too far from the truth. It really does require a hefty pc, so to speak.
Maplet is, in my opinion, a poor editor.

Alberto(Posted 2004) [#6]
hello

thanks for your support

napole0n(Posted 2004) [#7]
I mainly use Maya for 3D stuff, including maps. But just like Max, it's quite expensive and tricky to learn.

Aoneweb(Posted 2004) [#8]
Quill 3D, Good, Cheap and full of features.

c5ven(Posted 2004) [#9]
it may a bad time to consider Max or Maya. Max just can't get the price down. lowest i've seen is $3500. Maya (and LW) are much less expensive (<$2000), but Alias is on the auction block which is never a good sign. i bought Maya for my business (it exchanges files with Alias Studio and can render CAD) but Lightwave really looks like a sweet application - esp for polygon modeling.

as noted, there are excellent options out there without the cost. i've always been partial to QuArK (tho i don't do much level editing).

darklordz(Posted 2004) [#10]
a friend of mine uses lightwave as well. It's too complex for me tough...

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#11]
I gotta question, Quill3d when you load the b3d are the lightmaps loaded with it? or do you have to do some seperate mumbo jumbo? and same question with cart shop?