difference between Gamespace3d and truespace...

Community Forums/Developer Stations/difference between Gamespace3d and truespace...

Spy(Posted 2004) [#1]
hi.. i've just looked at the two programs.. and to me they look pertty much the same.. whats the difference between them ?

mearrin69(Posted 2004) [#2]
gameSpace only includes polygonal primatives, for one thing (unless I'm mistaken). No nurbs, no metaballs, maybe sub-D (I don't know). It includes a bunch of plug-ins for game specific stuff, etc. And, it's cheaper.

If you like the tS/gS system though the choice is easy depending on what you want. Buy tS and the game pack and you'll get a much more advanced modeler and renderer with a lot of the same game-related goodies. If you just want something for modeling and animating game stuff then get gS - and maybe the new level exporter as well.

I've used trueSpace since v1.1 though, I must admit, I've become a bit lost since v4 - the last version I actually purchased. I had v5 and have v6.x as product review copies but haven't used them a great deal. I have gS 1.5 and the new level editor as well, and haven't done much more than test them.

I've always liked tS - I've just got to get into the newer products and get used to working with them. Roman's a friend of mine and he's a bit of a visionary, always pushing the edge - sometimes too far for me :) I never have gotten into all of these 3D widgets and such in tS.
M

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#3]
Spy

TS has overreached itself - as a low end modeller/renderer I could forgive its faults, but now that the market for mid-low end 3d packages has grown so much over the years, and given that I've had the opportunity to experience higher end packages, the quality bar has risen and I'm much less forgiving with TS.

'Pushing the edge' often seems to me to mean releasing features in a buggy form.

mearrin69(Posted 2004) [#4]
Well, this is true of gS, certainly. The product was a bit rushed - though 1.5 sorts some of this. I think you're a little tough on tS though, and I can see why from what you tell of your experience, because it's a pretty stable, powerful package for the money.

All companies, discreet and Alias and NewTek included, have gone to a faster development cycle and they've released their share of bugs. Frankly I think it's less excusable for those guys because they have bigger dev teams and bigger budgets.

That said, I wish they'd all take their time and send products out the door when they're gold, not silver.
M

MikeHart(Posted 2004) [#5]
Yip Michael,

I just can agree to that. They all have their bugs and they all still chew on them. TS is a great package, a little week in animation without extra tools but modeling wise and renderwise it beats the most for much less money. But at the end it's the user and his/her talent. These apps are only tools.

Garion(Posted 2004) [#6]
I wondered about Gamespace too, but see no point in me buying it as I already have TS6.6, Milkshape and various other sattelite apps that fullfill my personal needs. The Price tag is also a tad steep and I cant justify the expense.

I to am a bit concerned with the seeming change of focus at Caligari. I cannot justify the expense of Proteam and no matter how hard I try, I cant see it as value for money, especially now that Caligari have doubled the price.

Having used Truespace from version 1 to 6.6, I was shocked when I realised that I was now activly looking for a possible replacement, just in case.

It will be interesting to see what the upgrade pricing for Ver 7 will be and whether Caligari have added enough new features and addressed stability issues or if they will pack it full of gimmicks.

Garion
from Scotland

mearrin69(Posted 2004) [#7]
I can't say more, but I understand v7 will be quite a change. Maybe check out the gamepack, since you have v6.6.
M