Truespace

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Truespace

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#1]
..sucks mightily.

Bought V6.5 late last year.

Soon after V6.6(!) came out, which requires and upgrade fee.

Unpatched version (of 6.5) would often crash hard when saving animated figures, and lose the work done.

'Service pack' fixed this issue - but broke the Directx import. Up pops a message that I would need to buy the 'conversion pack' (for a mere $400). On complaining bitterly, was told that this was an 'error' and would soon be recitifed. Downloaded the patch last night, issue not fixed after 4 months. Beginning to think it's on purpose.

Discovered that TS cannot copy and paste ik frames. Unbelievable. IK animation an exercise in frustration. There is a very good 3rd party animation plug-in, but it's around $400 and cannot export to Directx.

Continual emails telling me of 'last chance special offer' to pay to go from V6.5 to 6.6. Last chance offer repeated monthly.

Tutorials on how to use truespace features are part of the 'Proteam'. These require a fee to access.

Unable to export vertex animation to Directx. For this, I need to pay for a 'directx conversion pack'. Piss off.

Ligtmap/texture baking useless as a separate jpeg created for each polygon. Can only bake very simple objects.

Vertex editing slow, frustrating and too easy to pick up extraneous vertices/polygons.

Interface a pain in the ass (manual good however).

To sum up, there's always a stumbling block. My advice - stay away from Truespace. It's a tangle of hooks designed to get more money out of you than the asking price.

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#2]
I know. I bought ts3 and then 6 months later it's free :'( It's ok tho

napole0n(Posted 2004) [#3]
That's downright nasty! Next time make sure you find out anything that's to know about a program before splashing out!

MikeHart(Posted 2004) [#4]
Well for bugs, SP2 is out just now. And for missing features, you can allways download the demo. Or get into the SDK and build your own exporter.

Garion(Posted 2004) [#5]
Which is why I always advocate researching a product as fully as possible before purchasing it.

Downloading demos etc

Having said that I like Truespace 6.6 and also like Cinema 4D. Would like to like 3D Studio Max too, but can't afford it 8(

Bet you dont splash out yer cash so wrecklessly next time 8)

Garion
from Scotland