Which tols let you

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Which tols let you

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#1]
Subdivide individual quads. So far all the tools ive tried allow you to subdivide a model, but not a face or quad of a model. Are there any that will let you do this ?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#2]
3D Studio Max. Milkshape as far as I know.

napole0n(Posted 2004) [#3]
Maya can subdivide faces, quads and cut poly's.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#4]
The tools already mentioned, Wings3D (which is free,) Ultimate Unwrap, actually I think just about every modeling tool I've ever used. Which tools have you tried? You may just not be doing it correctly.

koekjesbaby(Posted 2004) [#5]
(this is kinda off topic, sorry) jhocking, how do you subdivide a quad/face in wings3d? all i seem to be able to do is to tesselate it, or do it manually (which is rather time consuming).

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#6]
Doing it manually is actually pretty easy because of how Wings works: just select two opposing edges and hit C to divide the face between them. Still, if that is really too hard for you just select the face you want to subdivide and hit S for smoothing.

Hm, I suppose the connecting edges thing I mentioned is just tesselating the mesh. Whatever, you can subdivide a polygon selection (including just a single polygon) as I described: select the polygon(s) and hit S.

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#7]
cool.. thanks all , ive been using anim8or, havent tried wings3d but i did snag a3d and its pretty cool

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#8]
wow, i love wings3d. but the geometry that it exports creats strange effects in my game. when i create in it wings3d my racecars seem to jitter as they pass from one face to another.. if i reduce polycot its not as noticable but when I drive over many small faces its very noticable. Other apps export high poly trakcs and i dont see this effect.

strange.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#9]
What do you mean by "they pass from one face to another?" Just generally, please be more specific about your problem. I never have any problems with models created in Wings so I assume you're just not exporting correctly or something.

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#10]
Well im exporting to 3DS. then loading straight into blitz. I start in wings3d by creating a grid, I then mess with the grid until i have the track shape i want.. but that doesnt matter because I can export a grid with no alterations and get the same effect.

The effect in more detail is just a small.. stopgo effect, wich makes my race cars seem to jitter about. If i render in wireframe they seem to do this small jitter when passing a wireframe line.. a face edge.

However that may not be the fact. I cant find anyhting wrong in my code, like i said I can import a 3ds file made in anim8or or milkshape and the cars run smooth with no problems.. my code is basically just moving them according to their force and applying gravity, and if they hit a wall.. meaning anyhting at a very high angle then they bounce from it.

I suppose the most obvious answer is to use a program that has proven to work for me, but i really like the features in wings3d

im still investigating my code, but i cant understand how all models from one program dont effect things, and every model from another program effect it every time.

[[edit]]
ok if i export as an .OBJ model from wings3d, then import that to anim8or, and use anim8or to export as 3DS. I get no problems in Blitz with the 3DS model.

Panno(Posted 2004) [#11]
rifraf save winds3d modells to 3ds loads in milkshape and save to b3d thats solve many problems

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#12]
That's interesting. I'm guessing the jittering is due to the cars hittings a wall at every polygon edge of the grid. Something about how Wings exports 3ds must be making Blitz think there is are walls where there shouldn't be.

Whatever. You've already hit on the fact that you probably shouldn't go straight from Wings to Blitz. I only use b3d models, which means I'm always converting via some middle-man (my fave is Ultimate Unwrap.)