LightWave Convertor Mk II

Community Forums/Developer Stations/LightWave Convertor Mk II

TeraBit(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi all,

The beta version of the new LightWave3D 'Deforming Character' convertor is ready for testing.

You can download it Here

New features are:
* Greater range of geometry understood
* Polygons from 1 - 1024 points imported
* Enhanced smoothing which copes with disco UV Mapping without UV Seams.

Let me know how you get on.

Al Mackey(Posted 2004) [#2]
Hurrah!

.... I haven't really had any problems getting the old DeformConv to work beautifully, but Hurrah none the less!

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#3]
Yup, defunately thumbs up! Haven't been able to test this yet and for me the old one worked quite nicely already :)

What do you mean exactly about "Greater range of geometry understood"?

TeraBit(Posted 2004) [#4]
@Mustang

It will not get upset if you have 1 or 2 Point polys in the layer and you can have skelegons in the layers with normal geometry instead of a layer on their own (although it is still more efficient to have them in a separate layer).

Also it understands polys from 4 - 1024 points and converts them to triangles.

TeraBit(Posted 2004) [#5]
Has anyone given this a go yet?

Dustin(Posted 2004) [#6]
Hey Lee,

Great work. Love the tool! I've converted stationary objects before with no problem.

But now I have a fully boned character that's giving me problems. Currently, there are 9 poses. In the first few poses the arms seem to move close to the correct pose but not quite. The last few poses it lines up nicely. The legs, on the other hand, are a different story. They are detatched from the knee down and proceed to drift around through all nine poses.

Let me know if you have any ideas what's going on or if you need to see the character and scene.

Thanks!

Dustin

TeraBit(Posted 2004) [#7]
Hi Dustin,

You need to be careful with bones. Since Blitz only has rigid verts, all your weight maps need to be either 1 or 0 (i.e. rigid, not soft weighted as such).

Also you will need to set the bones up in layout so that they use 'Weightmaps Only' since the distance falloff will screw up the calculations.

If you're still having problems after that, then email me the model (.LWO & .LWS) file to have a look at and see what's going on.

Dustin(Posted 2004) [#8]
I emailed you the scene and object. Let me know if you don't get it.

Thanks,
Dustin

TeraBit(Posted 2004) [#9]
Hi Dustin,

Not got it as yet. :/

TeraBit(Posted 2004) [#10]
Ok.. got it now..

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#11]
wow ...LWC Mark2...Terabit i have to say knowing your converter was about..swung the sale between blitz and darkbasic............. just to let you know i downloaded LWC M2 and as yet have had no problems...i like the addition of allowing more point data...and you have allowed us to get lazy and not even bother to triple...

Great stuff