Lightwave 8!

Community Forums/Developer Stations/Lightwave 8!

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#1]
New features:

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/product/8/features.php

Coooool! Can't wait! :)

-=Darkheart=-(Posted 2004) [#2]
Wow looks amazing, I love the new rigging tools they sound like just what everyone wants. I wish Lightwave wasn't so darn expensive though, puts it out of reach for almost all of us.

:\

Darkheart

Doggie(Posted 2004) [#3]
Don't you just hate that? About the pricing?
I think these companies should re-evaluate their licensing policies. Make the basic price of their software affordable say in the $300 to $400 range and then license the use of the program according to how it's used. A lot like folks here do with their different price tags for shareware/freeware and commercial. It would benefit everybody since levelling the playing field of tools available to one and all might push the big boys into having to make far superior products to have to keep ahead of the little guys nipping at their heels. That's one reason I do my best to support the many products coming out now made in and for Blitz.

TeraBit(Posted 2004) [#4]
Oooo well that looks good!

If I can swing getting the upgrade at work, then I may have to do a rework of the LW Convertor.

The Tattoo integrated .LWO now (1.43) has a better convertor module than the stand alone version (can handle n-gons up to 1024 points per poly) and looking back now I can see how things could have boon done a whole lot better.

I wonder if the .LWO/.LWS file formats have changed?

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#5]
If I can swing getting the upgrade at work, then I may have to do a rework of the LW Convertor.

And why did you think that I posted this link here ;P

Looks like LWs character animation tools, especially the rigging part, finally becomes useful and EASY to use... In the past it's been *pain* and Kludge after Kludge to get everything set up nicely.

This for example sounds SO cool, needed and game-dev likeable feature:

We’ve also created the Import/Export RIG functions, which give you the ability to reuse and share rigs from object to object.

New features might need indeed some re-work for the convertor or they can't be used which would be a darn shame. Upgrade is cheap, really! :)

--And you are now loaded with money from the Tattoo sales, so money shouldn't be any problem ;)

I wonder if the .LWO/.LWS file formats have changed?

We'll see... but they do have excellent and OPEN description of the formats and stuff unlike Discreet/MAX, so... they have already announced few new formats too:

New File Formats

-RIG – new format for importing and exporting character rigs
-OpenEXR
-Photoshop Flexible Point

Hambone(Posted 2004) [#6]
The educational price of LW is USD$394 which is the full feature version of LW by the way and not "crippled" or "nutered" (no dorky watermarks etc ...) Once you have learned the software and are ready to use it commercially it can be upgrade to full commercial version for USD$495. This is without a doubt the absolute best deal around for a pro-grade 3D app. I have been evaluating LW7.5, Maya PLE, 3DSMAX demo and so far I have found LW to be easy to learn, powerful, and just an all around pleasure to use. It does not have the "sexiness" quality or media attention of say Maya, but it is competitive with Maya Unlimited on feature basis and just kills it in price and overall performance and I say this as someone who was going to buy Maya and then decided to do a formal analysis of each package just to be sure. Damn glad I did because LW is the business and in 2004 will hopefully be my business :)

Allan

simonh(Posted 2004) [#7]
They're doing a decent deal at the moment, buy 7.5 and get 8 free when its released.

Might ask my teacher friend to help me out with a few photocopied papers :)

Kuron(Posted 2004) [#8]
I wish Lightwave wasn't so darn expensive though, puts it out of reach for almost all of us.
In the US, this would be a "business expense" and be tax deductible when it comes tax time. Doesn't the UK have similiar taxation provisions for businesses?

TeraBit(Posted 2004) [#9]
Mmmmmm gooood idea! We do! :)